Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snowwis Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2010, 02:29 PM
    Is there anything you can use to keep bananas from turning brown?
    Is there anything you can use to keep banans from turning brown the day after you bring them home from the grocery store?

Sep 7, 2010, 02:31 PM
    Is there anything you can use to keep bananas from turning brown?
    Is there anything you can use to keep your bananas from turning brown on the kitchen counter?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 11:53 PM
    Hi, snowwis!

There might be some ways to make the process of them turning brown happen more slowly. But, what do they already look like when you've purchased them and how are you already handling and storing them, please? It would be helpful to know about that in order to advise you the best.

Thanks!

Sep 8, 2010, 06:53 AM
    I buy them when they are still a little green... don't like soft bananas...
    I've tried the 'green' plastic bags and they worked the first few times, but their ability to keep fresh for sveral days seemed to decrease at an increasing rate... and I'm talking new bags... no recycling involved.
    Now I just take them out of plastic bag as soon as I get them home and put them in a basket on my kitchen island... where they are bright
    Yellow the next day and getting brown the second.
    The only good solution for me at present is buying no more than 2 at a time...

Thank you...
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2010, 09:09 AM

Well, if it's just you and you are eating one a day. Do what I do.
    I buy one really green, one green, one normal and one ripe and eat accordingly.:)
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2010, 09:14 AM

They make a little rack with a hook on it to hang them on, by the stem. I don't know if it helps, but it supposedly keeps them from bruising easily.

I like JustDahlia's system.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Sep 8, 2010, 10:53 AM

To make bananas last longer don't bunch them together, separate each of them from the other. When bananas are bunched together they will 'age' faster.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Box Wood shrubs turning brown [ 2 Answers ]

We have a row of box wood shrubs which we planted several years ago along the front of our house. Recently a number of them at one end have started to turn brown and dry. What could be causing this and what is the solution to restore them? Thanks snowlong:confused:

Plant leaves turning brown around the edges [ 1 Answers ]

I have a wave petunia in a hanging basket, and several other plants in window boxes, and some of the leaves are turning brown on the edges... any ideas why, and how I can stop this? I've fertilized a couple of times, keeping the soil moist, but not soaking, and not drying out.

Crawling Junipers/ Turning BROWN! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi , I live in northwestern PA. and have problems with my Creeping Junipers turning brown in my landscaping in front of my house. I have trimmed the brown back, fertilized and everything. This has been going on now for 2 years and I have evn had to replace a couple that died totally this year. What...

Evergreen bush turning brown [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! When we moved into our home @2 years ago, the one side had 2 evergreen bushes and one small evergreen tree on it. Within the first year of being here, the 1st evergreen bush died. Then this past spring, the small evergreen tree died. We dug these up and planted azalea bushes. However, the...

View more questions Search