Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    captain ov Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2006, 09:46 PM
    Quick claim deed
    I own a house and live with my brother. I have the mortgage in my name but want to add my brother to the title. Can I use Quick Claim for this? Would a Quick Claim deed make my brother co-owner? If so, were can I find the outline? Thanks. Happpy holidays.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 26, 2006, 09:52 PM
    You can go to an office supply store and get a kit for a Quit Claim Deed. Prepare the deed with yourself as the seller, and you AND your brother as the buyers. Then have the deed recorded in the county clerk or county register's office.

I suggest that you have this handled by an attorney or title agency in your area. It won't be expensive and they will make sure that your intentions are carried out properly.

Dec 26, 2006, 10:06 PM
    Thanks for the quick response. Do you have any idea how much it would cost to have a title agency do it? There is a Chicago Title agency by my house and I was thinking of going there. Thanks again.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Dec 27, 2006, 07:08 AM
    The proper term is QUIT CLAIM and you should not do this without advice from a RE attorney familiar with ownership requirements in your state/locality.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 27, 2006, 12:56 PM
    The costs vary by state. Call the title agency and ask them what they would charge to prepare and file a quit claim deed. Then call an attorney in your area and ask them the same thing. I know that in NJ you can have it done by a real estate attorney for about $150-200.

Dec 28, 2006, 08:18 PM
    Thanks for the help, I will contact both tomorrow for prices. Thanks again.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 28, 2006, 09:04 PM
    Yes it is a farily easy process, there are varoius online companies that do the forms for you and send them to you,

As well as forms available at Staples and Office Depo with fairly clear directions.

This is the most simplist of real esate transfers while you can always use a real estate attorney it is not really needed, at most a title company should be all you need to do it for you.

But if you have a reasonable education, it is normally a form that can be done by the person.

Lawyers perfer to make it sound hard to protect their income far to often

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quit claim deed [ 3 Answers ]

Is attorney needed for quit claim deed

Quick Claim [ 4 Answers ]

My sister passed away 2 months ago from a brief fight with cancer. (six weeks, age 50). Before she died she quit claim our fathers land to my brother and this was okay with the rest of kids. Then 3 weeks later my brother finds out he has cancer and dies 5 weeks later. He quit claims the land to me...

Quit Claim Deed [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: I have a myriad of financial issues at this point in time. I have about 65k of unsecured debt. I have no assets with equity in them. My home is fully mortaged with no equity. I am falling behind on my unsecured debts and I am worried that they will file a lien on my home residence. ...

A Quit Claim Deed Question [ 9 Answers ]

Six months ago my daughter's father came to me and announced he was dying of cancer and wanted me to have his family home. The understanding was that when I died, that the house would go to our daughter and she could sell it, live in it, rent it out, etc. I agreed to this and we did a Quit Claim...

Quick CLaim Deed [ 1 Answers ]

Can I title my house into my sisters name, but still keep tax benefits and mortgage interest deduction? I would still live in the house and pay the mortgage and taxes.

View more questions Search