Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kevin88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2010, 06:34 PM
    How many five card hands are there that has either an Ace or a Spade
    Five cards are chosen from a standard 52 card deck. How many hands include either an Ace or a Spade.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2010, 07:52 PM

U have 13 spades and 3 extra aces for a total of 16 cards.

U can make 10 -5 card hands with deck. This will give u a possibility of 10 hands with at lest one spade or and ace

Chuck
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 08:20 AM

I'm afraid creahands's answer is incorrect. The way to approach this is as follows:

As already pointed out, there are 16 cards that satisfy the condition of being either an ace or a spade. That means there are 52-16 = 36 cards that do not satisfy either condition. Here are two ways to continue:

1. First determine how many hands can be dealt with exactly one spade/ace card and 4 others. This would be C(5,1)x16x36*35*34*33. Then add the number of hands that can have two spade/ace cards and three others, plus the number of hands with three spade/ace and 2 others, plus hands with 4 space/ace and 1 other, plus hands with 5 spade/ace and 0 others.

2. An easier way: determine how many total 5-card hands there are in a 52-card deck, then subtract the number of 5-card hands that consist only of non spade/ace cards:

P(52,5) - P(36,5)
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2010, 04:39 PM
    If the question is how many combination can be dealt, then my answer is incorrect.

If, however, the question is how many can dealt from a 52 card deck then answer is correct. U can only get 10 hands out of a 52 card deck.

Chuck
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 09:45 PM

If the problem meant for the hand to be sat aside, and then pick another hand from what was left, it would say so. And I've never seen a question wanting to know what it is you were stating.

It wants combinations, i.e. one hand could have a crossover with another hand.
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 09:51 PM
    Speaking of which, shouldn't that be combinations and not permutations?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 10:23 PM

Isn't the question asking for only one spade or one ace?

So, this comes simply to:

Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 10:34 PM

I wondered about that too. A little on the interpretive side. It says "an" ace or "a" spade. As though they may mean just one of them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brother Super Ace II [ 3 Answers ]

I have lost the user manual for the above sewing machine, and they are now out-of-print. Does anyone know where I can get a copy, please?

Super ace II [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help me to find a super ace II sewing machine manual?

What is probability of drawing at least one spade [ 1 Answers ]

Three cards are drawn from a standard deck without replacement. What is the probability of drawing at least one spade. What is the probability of drawing a Jack, Queen, and King in any order.

View more questions Search