Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tuckerlk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2006, 07:08 PM
    Probability
    I need help with these questions, I just can't seem to get them right.

1. Separate the 12 face cards from the rest of the deck. Assume that the remaining cards have been shuffled. Select THREE cards from the pile of face cards (i.e. 3 jacks, 3 queens, or 3 kings) from the pile?

2. Separate the 12 face cards from the rest of the deck. Assume that the remaining cards have been shuffled. How many ways are there of selecting one of each face card from the pile?
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Dec 27, 2006, 06:31 AM
    Just to be clear, you're removing 12 face cards and then selecting cards from that pile of 12?

Dec 27, 2006, 11:23 AM
    Yes that is correct

Dec 27, 2006, 02:16 PM
    Ok, just to begin lets enumerate the 12 cards in our pile. I'll use JQK for the values and SDHC for the suits (hopefully obvious)
    We've got: JS JD JH JC QS QD QH QC KS KD KH KC
    Now, for problem 1:
    What is the probability that if we select 3 cards they will all have the same value? Since the suits don't matter we have JJJJQQQQKKKK, the probability will be 3 times the probability of picking a specific value three times. P(selecting 3 J)=P(selecting J 1st)*P(selecting J 2nd)*P(selecting J 3rd)=4/12*3/11*2/10=1/55 so P(selecting 3 of the same)=3*P(selecting 3 J)=3/55

I assume you want the probability of selecting 3 of the same suit. There are obviously 3*(4 choose 3) = 12 ways to do that.

For problem 2:
    So we want to select 3 cards and get 1 of each value. Think of it like this: There are 4 ways to pick 1 J, then for each of those 4 ways there are 4 ways to add 1 Q, so that's 4*4=16. Then for each of those 16 ways there are 4 ways to add 1 K so that's 16*4=64.

Someone might come by and give you some stock probability answer but I like doing it the hard way!

Dec 27, 2006, 05:37 PM
    Are you any good with geomtry? I can't seem to attach the files to ask for help

Dec 27, 2006, 08:48 PM
    Please ask your geometry questions. If I can't field them someone else surely can. If you try to describe your problem someone might likely create an image to clarify.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Probability [ 3 Answers ]

Two numbers are selected from the integers 1 to 11 inclusive, repetition being allowed.Find the probability that, (a) Both are prime (b) Both are powers of 2 (c) One is a prime and the other is a power of 2

Probability [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem: if z=x+y then f(z)=? (f(x,y):is given) please help me

2000 applicants aged 18-25. Drug users non-drug users Positive test results 297 34 Negative test results 3 1666 An applicant has positive test results? An applicant tests positive and uses drugs?...

A tall building is designed for a 100-year wind; i.e. the probability of annual maximum wind speed exceeding the design speed is 1%. a) What is the probability that the design wind speed will be exceeded for the first time on the fifth year after completion of the building? How about the...

View more questions Search