Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dcfitzgerald Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2010, 12:46 AM
    Condensor/Capicitor Wiring
    I have a Bryant Air Condenser Model #539GN060-A and I needed to replace the motor in it along with the capacitor. (I've done this before in another unit and got it to work just fine) So I found the right replacement motor and got it to work just fine using the old capicitor. The problem I am having is trying to figure out the wiring for the new capicitor that came with the new motor. The old capacitor is a GE Round Capicator (27L651) with the three sets of terminals on top. Brn wire to "FAN" terminal, a Blue wire (not from the motor) to "therm" terminal and a yellow wire (not from the motor) to the "C" terminal. This is all very clear and makes sense to me.

The problem is the new capacitor is a smaller oval Dayton 5MFB and it only has two terminal sets on top and neither of them is labeled anything, no therm, no fan, no C etc.. So I'm not quite sure what gets hooked up where. Any ideas on where I went wrong or should I just order the same capicitor as the old one? Thanks!!
    cactuskid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2010, 01:19 PM
    Well here my two cents. Your old capacitor with three terminals was used to assist both the compressor motor and the condenser fan motor in starting at the same time. It's also called a "dual capacitor". Basically it does the job of two capacitors. Buy a new three terminal capacitor with the same ratings as your old one and wire it up. HERM goes to compressor motor. FAN goes to fan motor. C or COMM goes to the 240V terminal on the contact-relay unit. I'm not sure if it matters but mine is hooked to the non-relay side of the contacter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring new condenser fan motor [ 10 Answers ]

:confused: My new AC condenser fan motor has an extra wire and a different type capacitor. What do I do with it? AC is a 1998 SEER 12 Rheem. New motor is an A.O. Smith 1/8 HP 208 RPM 208-230 volt. Old Emerson 1/10 HP motor has 3 wires, black, brown, and orange. Which was connected to a Amrad...

Condenser wiring [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am installing wiring for a new central air condenser that is being installed next week, and I wanted to make sure I was not missing anything. The HVAC installer told me that I needed #8 and 40 amps. I have a flexible whip to go from the disconnect to the condenser and have run (2) #8 wires...

Condenser wiring [ 1 Answers ]

What type/size wiring for 3.5 ton condenser?

Condenser Fan Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I Purchased A New Condenser Fan. The Old Fan Had Three Wires One To The Contactor(black) Then Yellow Wire To The Capacitor And Brown Wire To Capacitor. The New Motor Has Four Wires Brown , Brown With White Strip, Black And Purple. The Fan Diagram Shows You Can Connect With Only Three Wires. It...

Condenser wiring [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am installing wiring for a new central air condenser that is being installed next week, and I wanted to make sure I was not missing anything. The HVAC installer told me that I needed #8 and 40 amps. I have a flexible whip to go from the disconnect to the condenser and have run (2) #8 wires...

View more questions Search