Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shanana105 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2010, 01:42 PM
    I am suppose to do a t-account and trial balance I need help can some one tell me if
    I am suppose to do a t-account and trial balance I need help can some one tell me if this is right and what do do next I am so lost.. please help

Pose for Pics

Date Account Names & Explanations Debits Credits
    Aug. 1 Cash 7500
    Photography Equipment 32,500
    Capital 40,000
    Owner contributes 7500 in cash
    And 32,500 in photo equipment
    Aug. 1 Prepaid insurance 3000
    Paid Prepaid insurance 3000
    Aug. 5 Account Payable 1400
    Purchased office supplies 1400
    Aug. 20 Account Receivable 2650
    Cash earned in Photo
    Fees 2650
    Aug. 31 Expenses 875
    August Utilities 875
    T-Account
    Debit

Investment cash 7500
    Photography fee earned 1650
    Credit

Insurance 3000
    Office supplies 1400
    Utilities 875

I don't know if this is even right
    Use the information in Exercise 2-4 to prepare an August 31 trial balance for Pose-for-Pics. Open these T-accounts: Cash; Office Supplies; Prepaid Insurance; Photography Equipment; H. Paris, Capital; Photography Fees Earned; and Utilities Expense. Post the general journal entries to these T-accounts (which will serve as the ledger), and prepare a trial balance

Shelton Engineering completed the following transactions in the month of June.
    a. Shania Shelton, the owner, invested $105,000 cash, office equipment with a value of $6,000, and $45,000 of drafting equipment to launch the business.
    b. Purchased land worth $54,000 for an office by paying $5,400 cash and signing a long-term note payable for $48,600.
    c. Purchased a portable building with $75,000 cash and moved it onto the land acquired in b.
    d. Paid $6,000 cash for the premium on an 18-month insurance policy.
    e. Completed and delivered a set of plans for a client and collected $5,700 cash.
    f. Purchased $22,500 of additional drafting equipment by paying $10,500 cash and signing a long term note payable for $12,000.
    g. Completed $12,000 of engineering services for a client. This amount is to be received in 30 days.
    h. Purchased $2,250 of additional office equipment on credit.
    I. Completed engineering services for $18,000 on credit.
    j. Received a bill for rent of equipment that was used on a recently completed job. The $1,200 rent must be paid within 30 days.
    k. Collected $7,200 cash in partial payment from the client described in transaction g.
    l. Paid $1,500 cash for wages to a drafting assistant.
    m. Paid $2,250 cash to settle the account payable created in transaction h.
    n. Paid $675 cash for minor repairs to the drafting equipment.
    o. Shelton withdrew $9,360 cash for personal use.
    p. Paid $1,500 cash for wages to a drafting assistant.
    q. Paid $3,000 cash for advertisements in the local newspaper during June.
    Required
    Required
    1. Prepare general journal entries to record these transactions (use the account titles listed in part 2).
    2. Open the following accounts—their account numbers are in parentheses (use the balance column format): Cash (101); Accounts Receivable (106); Prepaid Insurance (108); Office Equipment (163); Drafting Equipment (164); Building (170); Land (172); Accounts Payable (201); Notes Payable (250); S. Shelton, Capital (301); S. Shelton, Withdrawals (302); Engineering Fees Earned (402); Wages Expense (601); Equipment Rental Expense (602); Advertising Expense (603); and Repairs
    Expense (604). Post the journal entries from part 1 to the accounts and enter the balance after each posting.
    (3) Trial balance totals,
    $253,500
    can some one help please.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2010, 10:08 PM
    As for this first part I'm confused over what you are doing. You have no columns so I cannot see what's a debit and what's a credit. You can make columns when you type, but they do not show up when you post. When you "quote post" the columns show up again in the typing screen. So I can see that you never even attempted to do columns. (Not that it works correctly, but you never even attempted it. The best idea is writing (dr) or (cr) before or after each line.)

Date Account Names & Explanations Debits Credits
    Aug. 1 Cash 7500
    Capital 40,000
    Owner contributes 7500 in cash
    And 32,500 in photo equipment
    Aug. 1 Prepaid insurance 3000
    Paid Prepaid insurance 3000
    Aug. 5 Account Payable 1400
    Purchased office supplies 1400
    Aug. 20 Account Receivable 2650
    Cash earned in Photo
    Fees 2650
    Aug. 31 Expenses 875
    August Utilities 875
    T-Account
    Debit

Investment cash 7500
    Photography fee earned 1650
    Credit

Insurance 3000
    Office supplies 1400
    Utilities 875
    There are several things listed where you have listed only one account. Which tells me you do not understand what a journal entry even is. You should have learned in the first chapter how all of these things affect the accounting equation, and how that has to remain equal at all times. The only way it can remain equal is if there are at least two accounts involved. If you only affect one account, it's not balanced with something else.

When you get to debits & credits, this balancing is accomplished by every entry having equal debits and credits - if that is to happen, there have to be at least two accounts. Three or more can be used, as long as both sides are equal. I don't see you even trying to use "sides" at all.

This means we are starting back at the very beginning. If we were to start at the beginning, this would entail about two chapters' worth of explanation and no one can do that in a forum situation. There is an online textbook here:
    Principles of Accounting: Chapter One
    I would suggest just starting at the beginning and reading. You can certainly skip over all the stuff about what is accounting, what jobs you can get and all that. But you need to know your accounting equation, and how that equation is affected by transactions, and understand the equality of the equation. Then how that translates into debits and credits. You're going to have to get more specific if you have questions.

But just as example in what you're done here: The first looks to be right, but since it's not in columns I really don't know if you have everything in the proper place. The one with the insurance - you've used the prepaid insurance account, but there's no other half of that entry. What about the "paid" part? What do you pay with? The one about purchasing office supplies -- now that one you haven't even included all the necessary information. Purchased how? You've used accounts payable, which is a proper account if it says the supplies were purchased on account. But you haven't included that part. And what about the supplies themselves. Where'd they go? They have to be recorded as well. Again, you only have one account. Etc.

As for the two little sections at the bottom of that, I don't know what you're trying to do there.

Shelton Engineering completed the following transactions in the month of June.
    As for this second one, this is an entirely different problem. It's easier if you don't have two entirely different problems in one thread, especially when one is very long. That gets very confusing when you have posts going back and forth. Second, we don't do people's homework here. You should never post just a problem, with no work submitted (or attempts at work) and no question about it.

But you need to spend some time going over the online textbook, or going back through your textbook. You're welcome to come ask specific questions, but it's just impossible to explain everything about doing journal entries in a forum like this - it's just too involved and broad a topic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the last account that should be listed in the Post Closing Trial Balance? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the last account that should be listed in the Post Closing Trial Balance? a. Income Summary b. Fees Earned c. Cash d. Retained Earnings

Do I use all the account types from my journal entry to create my trial balance? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, this is my journal entry but I am confused as what to use from this to create my trial balance. Can someone help me clarify this? General Journal Date Description(Account Name) Debit Credit Oct. 1 Cash 12,000 Oct. 1 Common Stock 12,000 Oct. 1 Cash 1,200 Oct....

T-account for trial balance [ 6 Answers ]

Joe Gaskins and Matthew Perry began operations of their furniture repair shop (New Again Furniture, Inc.) On January 1, 2009. The annual reporting period ends December 31. The trial balance on January 1, 2009, was as follows: Account Titles Debit Cash 5,000 ...

T-account from unadjusted trial balance [ 1 Answers ]

I have to prepare T-accounts with balances from the unadjusted trial balance. In the Unadjusted Trial Blance, there are 1) Accumulated depreciation - A Cr $10000 2) Accumulated depreciation - B Cr $15000 . . . 10) Depreciation expense - A Dr $0 11) Depreciation expense - B Dr $0

View more questions Search