Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gbrown Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Dec 24, 2006, 07:40 AM
    Power in part of house goes dead w/out triping breaker
    Hello, great site, use it more than I thought I would.
    Question: The electricity in part of my house will go dead without tripping the breaker for those rooms and then will come back on within 30-60sec by itself, lights have been dimming as if a dip in voltage has occurred.
    Thanks
    Gbrown
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2006, 10:50 AM
    There is definitely a loose connection someplace, which can be in the panel, at a breaker, in a junction box, or at behind an outlet.

There is no way anyone here can tell you exactly where this fault is. If you know how to use a voltage tester and can open electrical equipment and boxes, you may be able to find the problem and correct it.

If not, then you will need to hire a good service electrical contractor that has good troubleshooting skills and knowledge of circuit wiring.

Not to scare you, but this condition needs to be found ASAP, as it will not get better on it's own, and there is a possibility that heat is being created at the location of the loose connection, and ultimately be a fire hazard.
    Gbrown Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Dec 24, 2006, 12:03 PM
    With a voltage tester would I just measure voltage at each outlet?
    I've tightened screws in the panel and a lot of the house outlets, haven't noticed a dip in the lights lateley.
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 24, 2006, 02:35 PM
    Don't forget junction boxes that may be present in ceilings, attics and other crawlspaces. That is if your condtion persists.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car won't start, no click and no power to radio, power window or locks [ 6 Answers ]

After installing a new starter on a 1999 2WD Explorer it will not start. There is no click when trying to start it, its just dead, and the radio, power locks/windows, a/c, and dash light don't work but the interior lights work and so do the headlights. We've had the starter checked to make sure...

Change circuit breaker for part of house [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: I am looking for info on how to change the circuit breaker that runs the front end of my house; i.e.. Bedroom, livingroom and front garage. It is a little black box with a 15 on it :) please help. Never realized how dependent we are on our appliances until now How do I change the little...

No cold water in part of house.. HELP!? [ 6 Answers ]

This past Wednesday, for some unknown reason, the cold water has stopped coming out of my kitchen faucet, (on 2nd floor) as well as no cold water in going to the washer (1st floor) or the outside spigot. There is still cold water in the bathrooms on all three floors of the house (built 1991) and...

WHAT IS A GFI breaker and where can I find it in my house [ 2 Answers ]

My outdoor outlet with xmas light went out last night when it rained. They lights will work in my indoor outlets. I cannot find a labeled breaker in the breaker box. An earlier post mentioned a GFI breaker might be the issue. What is a GFI and where would I find it? J

A/c power breaker tripping [ 2 Answers ]

I have dual a/c units to control the upstairs and downstairs of my residence. I have isolated my problem of no cold air to the breaker panel. I need help identifying what the possible reasons may be for the breaker tripping. There are two breakers (one coming directly from the a/c units with a...

View more questions Search