Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SiLvErWaRe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2006, 01:20 AM
    Internet problems
    Hello Experts, Well here is the thing. I think I got a virus that did some damage to my computer settings, basically every time I try to connect to the internet it will say page not found. Also any program that tries to access the internet cannot connect at all. The weird thing is I can ping any site and the ping works fine, its whenever anything else tries to connect to the internet, BTW I'm on a LAN and I'm using Broadband. My question is, is there anywhere I can poke around in the registry to see if a setting was changed so that the computer thinks it has no connection to the net? Also I can browse my network fine, but as soon as I open IE says PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED, or for instance if Norton tries to update itself if just says that there is no connection. BUT I CAN PING ANYONE I WANT FROM A DOS PROMP!! This is so frustrating, replay if you have any idea what it might be. Im running Windows XP SP1 Professional.

I have the same problem, but the thing is I can get on the internet in safemode just fine. WOW doesn't seem to work but I can get on to Steam and play CS. I checked the regisrty and found a process called mace.exe and got rid of it, I also uninstalled it from control panel but I still can't access the net. I think there is something running in the background because everything works in safemode. Any help would be great.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Dec 24, 2006, 01:43 AM
    Here is some info on Mace.exe. Unless you have an ATI video card, your hypothesis may be correct in that this is a malicious app or process of some sort. Not quite sure how to remedy it though if it is the cause.

http://www.file.net/process/mace.exe.html
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Dec 24, 2006, 04:28 AM
    Since you can go online -Boot up in Safe mode and scan your PC at one [or both ] of these sites [free online virus scans]
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/ActiveScan.htm
    jrussole Posts: 163, Reputation: 12
    -

Dec 24, 2006, 04:39 AM
    I would call your internet provider and see if they are aware of the problem and may help you remedy to a solution. They may offer services to help you delete the virus and or help you delete the program from your system. I believe that Internet 7 is new and all the bugs haven't been worked out as of yet. So you can try to delete or restore. And see if that helps.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Dec 24, 2006, 12:23 PM
    Once the security of your machine has been comprimised, you can't trust it again.

I would reformat the hard drive and re-install the OS.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 25, 2006, 06:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by phillysteakandcheese
    Once the security of your machine has been comprimised, you can't trust it again.

I would reformat the hard drive and re-install the OS.
    While reformatting is always an option, it should be used only as a last resort. I have seen plenty of machines cleaned out by good A/V programs that function fine.
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Dec 26, 2006, 06:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrussole
    I agree Electric. And as far as Internet 7, it was only a suggestion. An example for instance. Hey, can Micro Trend eliminate all pests that are infiltrating your system? Just wondering.
    At times it takes a combination of tools, trendline / panda -spy ware scans - pcpitstop.com has a good online one -followed by highjack this --but highjack this is not a tool for begineers.
    jrussole Posts: 163, Reputation: 12
    -

Dec 26, 2006, 06:39 AM
    Thanks Savage. My hubby will know what to do. I just didn't want him poking around my computer. Lol He is very protective and may get upset about some of the attacks that I have encountered. He is in the field.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet explorer display problems [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have Windows XP, Home Version. My girlfriend deleted some programs and since then my web pages do not display properly and the font is LARGE. I went to VIEW on the Internet Explorer toolbar to try and change the font but this did not work. FYI, I am using IE 6.0. Thanks

Internet connection problems [ 2 Answers ]

Okay here is my problem, I have a single PC connected to the internet by a cable/dsl modem* motorola SB 5100 surfboard* my internet supplier is blueyonder broadband. I have used this setup for two years now on the same PC without any problems but recently my internet connection seems slower my...

2 NICs, one with internet. No internet. [ 2 Answers ]

This is the setup: I have two computers, a router, and a hub. Computer 1: Connected to the router wirelessly, Connected to to the hub with cat5. Computer 2: Connected to the hub with cat5. This is the problem: With both the wired and wireless connection enabled, I have no internet access. It...

Internet problems! [ 1 Answers ]

Im having trouble with my internet, and have been for the past 2 days. I don't really feel like sitting on the support line for an hour, so I tought I would ask here 1st. Ok... for starters my page display is all messed up, I can see the web sites, but the way they are laid out is all messed up......

Internet problems [ 15 Answers ]

Hi my internet connection seems to be sending and receiving about 1000 bytes a secong while I do absolutely NOTHING. This should not happen should it? What could be causing it? I've checked for and gotten rid of any viruses, spyware or adware, including the dreaded DSO exploit. I've also tried...

View more questions Search