Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pgood7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2010, 04:38 AM
    Chemical diagram of spandex joined to spandex
    I want to have a chemical diagram of spandex joined to spandex so I can see the forces that hold these chemicals together
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 07:52 AM

If you go first to this wikipedia page: Spandex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then, following the links to the constituents of the polymer,
    Polyurethane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Polyurea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You get this:

And this:

Those two 'monomer' parts of spandex should help you in finding what are the possible forces which hold spandex together :)

Post what you get! :)
    DrBob1 Posts: 425, Reputation: 86

Aug 26, 2010, 11:01 AM

Just to add a little bit to Unknown008's excellent answer.
    Spandex is a BLOCK COPOLYMER, that is, it has domains of a "hard" polyurea/polyurethane polymer joined to a "soft" polyester or polyether material. As you can see from the structural formulas, there is a lot of hydrogen bonding in the polyurea portion. The other polymers are flexible, and can stretch under tension.
    Thus the Spandex molecules can elongate until the polyester chains are fully extended and then they are stopped by the hard segments. When tension is relaxed entropy takes over and the long, ordered chains recoil and the fabric returns to its original shape.
    Spandex is an elastomer, like rubber, but is chemically more stable and longer lasting.
    The hydrogen bonds are what hold the molecules together, but by themselves you would have a rock. The soft portions are not associated and, by themselves, would give you soup. But together the two segments give the properties that make the product so successful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chemical Reactions: Balanced Chemical Equations [ 1 Answers ]

How do you do a structural diagram of reactant molecules 2 no + )2 -> 2no3 Structural digram of product molecules

Diagram a chemical equation [ 1 Answers ]

How would you diagram a reaction between 2 Molecules of HCL+1 molecule of CO2 into a beaker of H2O?

Chemical formulas and chemical compounds [ 2 Answers ]

In a Stock name such as iron(III) sulfate, the roman numeral tells us?

Lycra spandex jeans [ 0 Answers ]

I have some jeans that have only 2% lycra spandex, and yet they are stretchier than other jeans that have 5%. How can it be that jeans that have less spandex are mor elastic than jeans that have less?

[HELP]gr11 chemistry - predicting chemical reactions and balancing chemical equations [ 5 Answers ]

hey can nebody help me with my chemistry hmwk? i dun really get it... :confused: thanks! For each of the following reactions, determine what the products of each reaction will be. When you have predicted the products, balance the equation and use a table of solubility products to...

View more questions Search