Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    montclairfire Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2010, 08:42 PM
    Hipaa law violations by fire departments
    I work for a fire department as a PARAMEDIC, can a captain of mine go through an ENS run form and contact a patient of mine , if he wasn't on scene of the call in the first place?
    sideoutshu Posts: 225, Reputation: 23

Aug 26, 2010, 06:48 AM

Why would that be a HIPPA violation? When a patient receives treatement from an entity, it is contemplated that others within that entity will view their records. As long as the captain is using the information for a purpose realted to the business I don't see it as a problem.

Why are you asking? Do you want him to stop?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 26, 2010, 06:55 AM

I also wonder why you are asking.

We frequently call patients after discharge to make sure they are doing okay and if they were pleased with their stay.

Why did he contact the patient?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2010, 09:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by montclairfire View Post
    I work for a fire department as a PARAMEDIC, can a captain of mine go through an ENS run form and contact a patient of mine , if he wasnt on scene of the call in the first place?
    This is not a HIPAA violation - that would be if your doctor called your captain and said, "Montclairfire has hepatitis B."

Is there a reason you don't want him contacting the patient?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa violations [ 3 Answers ]

Is it a violation of hipaa, if I take a picture of a patient that has been discharged?

Is it HIPAA Violations? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband was admitted in the hospital on a Tuesday and was transferred to another facility on Thursday at 3pm. Our family friend who worked nights shift (7pm-6am) in the same facility opened my husband profile in the computer on Thursday night and was able to get all the medical information she...

Hipaa Violations [ 1 Answers ]

How do I report a Hipaa violation?

HIPAA violations [ 15 Answers ]

I am writing on behalf of my boyfriend. He checked himself into the hospital for alcohol detox. He was later transferred to another facility because the first facility did not have overnight accommodations for detox. Meanwhile he was assured of patient confidentiality. At that facility one of the...

Hipaa Violations [ 3 Answers ]

The owner/boss of the company I was working for asked me question concering my doctors appointment. She got angry and basically demanded me to tell whether it was for medical research because she had heard it through the grapevine. I lied and told her it was not for that. She demanded me to tell...

View more questions Search