Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LindaKent Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2010, 10:08 PM
    Best electrical prices for replacing outlet receptables
    Need a electrician to replace about 40 outlets and 20 switches. Simply switching to newer and color change.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2010, 11:15 PM

I'd do it for you. You can do it to.

The length of time will depend on what the electrician finds. Example: 2 wire receptacle with a ground in the box is going to take longer than a 3 wire receptacle wired correctly with ground to the device AND the box. It could take longer if the house was older and didn't have a threaded location for a ground screw.

If you could turn off power and take an outlet out (don't remove electrical connections) and take a pic of the front and rear of the outlet and the inside of the box. Try to locate a tapped hole for a grounding screw.

You can buy pigtails to make the job easier.

I recently replaced about 1/2 the outlets in a condo and some issues did come up.

The 2008 NEC code is requireing tamperproof outlets nearly everywhere. They are a bit more expensive. If you haven't heard of them before, they will not allow one receptacle pin to have something inserted. You must use both receptacle pins at the same time. This prevents kids from being shocked.

You may want to consider these.

GFCI's, 3-way and switched outlets are tricky. If I were doing it, and the whites were not taped black on the switches, I'd fix them and check the corresponding light fixture too. It can take a while.

Once I found potentially 402 outlets that were bad. Critical outlets were blanket replaced. Non-critical ones were tested and replaced. Office outlets were evaluated/replaced as computers were added.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Aug 24, 2010, 04:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaKent View Post
    Need a electrician to replace about 40 outlets and 20 switches. Simply switching to newer and color change.
    Call a few local electricians and speak to them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compare prices on electrical work [ 1 Answers ]

What is the going rate for an electrical work such as tying into an existing line by adding about 15 ft. of wire and a junction box installed for a small fixture in the ceiling?

Electrical outlet wiring/switched outlet? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to fix the wiring in an outlet in the master bedroom of the house we just bought. Currently there is a 3 gang swtich at the entrance to the bedroom. We were told two of the 3 switches controlled the fan & light for a ceiling fan lamp that was removed by the previous owner. We were...

Prices for Electrical Work [ 0 Answers ]

Please refrain from asking for prices or estimates for any electrical work. All anyone here can do is provide a wide range of prices, often in hundreds or thousands of dollars span. Best that you contact at least three local contractors to get quotes for the same scope of work relating to...

Converting regular 3 prong electrical outlet to dryer outlet [ 3 Answers ]

We just bought a stacking washer and dryer and now the electrical cord on the dryer won't reach down to the existing dryer outlet. Is there any way to convert a regular 3 prong outlet that is close enough into a dryer outlet?

Outdoor electrical outlet keeps tripping gfci outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Until just recently my christmas decorations would light up when we plugged them into the outdoor electrical outlet. Now when we plug it in the gfci outlet in the garage keeps getting tripped and the lights won't come on. Even when we reset the gfci, once we plug in the chord it gets tripped...

View more questions Search