Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrlarry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2006, 07:36 PM
    I owe IRS backtaxes and I am on SSD
    Recently I am receiving tax bills from the IRS... I am on SSD and that is my only income... What can the IRS do to me?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 23, 2006, 08:34 AM
    If SSD is your ONLY income and you have no other substantial assets, the IRS can do virtually nothing to you.

I have a client in a similar situation. She is retired and earns a small income working part-time. She owes somewhere between $25-$35K to the IRS due to back taxes she failed to pay while working as a real estate agent. She also owes the state about $4,000.

She lives with her sister, drives a 10-year old car, and lives paycheck-to-paycheck (and from monthly SS check-to-SS check). I sent a letter to both the IRS and the state where she lives explaining these facts of life. By law, neither the IRS or the state can touch her Social Security benefits if those benefits are needed to maintain a minimal living standard. I made it clear that if they tried to garnish her wages at her job, she would QUIT!

Now, she does file tax returns each year, and her refunds, however small, are confiscated toward her tax debt, but, other than that, neither tax agency bothers her except for the occasional letter. Now I did explain that if she ever has some type of windfall, like a lottery win, both the state and the IRS will be waiting for their "pound of flesh".

Other than that, she is home free.

Your situation seems to be similar. If you own a home, the IRS will put a lien on it, but that cannot be collected until the house is sold.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

State of Mich. Treasury placed lien on SSD for Cigarette Tax! [ 4 Answers ]

I was notified approximately a year ago that I owed approximately 250.00 in tax, due to my purchasing cigarettes online. The taxes in MIchigan on them are astronomical.. and being a single Mom, permanently disabled and with only SSD as income, you try to save every penny you can! I know...

Figuring out how much I owe [ 9 Answers ]

I moved this past June from Washington, DC to NYC. I am trying to figure out how much more in taxes I might have to pay, besides what is taken out of my paycheck biweekly. I am a single person with no dependents so I have the standard deductions for a single filer. The first half of the year, I...

Figuring out how much I owe... Part II... [ 1 Answers ]

Hi ATL Tax Expert: Thanks for your response! My only question to your answer is why my federal tax liability would be 34,100 based on 150K income? I worked half a year making 67K and the other half of the year making 83K. Therefore, wouldn't my federal tax be based on the average of 67K and 83K,...

Debt I don't owe [ 7 Answers ]

I am being harassed by a collection agency for money that I don't owe. I live in Canada and I was a customer for over 18 years to a well-known "club" that sells music and dvds. I always paid my bills. I was told that I owed them 6.80 (04/18/04) for a dvd. (Apparently, they figured I paid for...

I owe to somebody [ 3 Answers ]

I was in moscow 7 years ago. I spent there 5 years. I owe to three of my friends and colleagues. Its been a long time since I had no contact with them as they have now moved to new places and I don't have any contact number and my numbers here have now been changed too so I don't know where they...

View more questions Search