Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suzanmk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2010, 09:52 AM
    Can a child make a decision who to live with at 14
    We adopted a little girl (M) at age 4 and adopted her out to my cousin. We raised her for 9 years. The agreement was (under oath) that my cousin would maintain a relationship between the child and my family. She has just turned 14 and told me my cousin is trying to cut off all ties between us. She (my cousin) doesn't return phone calls and is now avoiding us. This is hurting the child (M) and us.
    Is there anything we can do to gain visitation or regain custody of (M)? Can we do anything being she swore under oath at the adoption hearing to keep a relationship in tact?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2010, 10:16 AM

Your Cousin adopted her. She is now the legal parent and can determine who she does and doesn't see. You lost those rights at the adoption.

May not be nice or right... but as the legal parent she can do that.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 19, 2010, 10:19 AM

Please help me to understand what you have written.

1) You adopted a child when the child was 4, correct?

2) You then agreed to let your cousin adopt this young lady from you? Why?

3) How did you raise the child for 9 years if she was with your cousin?

I know I must be reading your post incorrectly.

Question, was the original hearing a custody agreement or a true adoption?

Was the oral oath part of the agreements imposed by the court?

The second hearing, was it for custody or an adoption. Was this where the oath was administrated?

Just thinking, that if this "Oath" is part of the court ordered settlement, then theoretically, your cousin is in contempt of court for not following the order from the Judge. Contact the court and see what they say. Also, have the child contact 'Child Services" to see if they can help her.

Why did you give up anything on your adoptive daughter anyway?
    thegeekuwant2b Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Aug 19, 2010, 10:21 AM
    Most of the time it is between parents whe have joint custody of a child but in most States children can decide who they want to live with at age 12. As long as they are legal Parent or Guardian
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2010, 12:57 AM
    Originally posted by stevetcg

No, in most states - and that means all states, its up to the court to decide - the child MAY be consulted in many states.
    Hi, All!

I agree with the above and just wanted to make sure that it was visible on this thread. The comments on posts in threads that are placed in the Reputation of a member aren't visible in all of the skins that are used on this site, even though they might be visible in a Profile.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

At what age can a child make the decision to change parents [ 11 Answers ]

I have a granddaughter that is 8 years old that has expressed numerous times that she wants to live with her father. We live in Georgia and were wondering at what age a child can make that decision so we can go before a judge to what decision would be made.

Can by child make a decision about vivitation at 12 [ 3 Answers ]

My child is 12 yrs old and I'm wanting to know can she make a legal decision about going for visitation with her mother? If so do I need to go back to court and get this in writing in another court order?

I want him to make the right decision [ 7 Answers ]

Will I get him back He says he loves me but his ex girlfriend is threatening that if he doesn't go back to her she will take his 3 kids 4 hrs away I'm worried hell go back The courts have told him that she can't take the kids any further than 20 km out of his place of residency but it hasn't...

Did I make the right decision? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 18 years... and I'm dating an 18 year old guy.. I still didn't meet him, we are just chat mates.. I have feelings for this guy,and he told me lately that he loves me,and I love him too... but, early last month,I met this other guy,who is my any's friend.. to be honest,I don't have any feelings...

Decision to make [ 5 Answers ]

New to the site, but have been married 6 years 31 years old wife is 30. Ive wanted kids for a while now. My wife simply doesn't. We discussed this before we were married and she said that she wanted kids. I stopped asking about it a year ago, now all of a sudden she said that she is leaving...

View more questions Search