Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Asher Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 04:33 PM
    Memory or hard drive issue.
    I enountered this problem in the morning and I thought that it would go away within a few minutes. I'm sure that my 512 MBs worth of memory was fine before.
    I reinstalled Windows XP SP2 on my secondary hard drive that has about 4.5 GBs and I wanted use my other 160 GB hard drive primarily for downloaded files. Windows XP SP2 was on the 160 GB HDD in the very beginning, not on the spare 4.5 GB one.

I never had memory problems this bad before. The only thing eating up my memory is Firefox with a 50,176K usage. Usually when it's at 100,000K to 125,000K it would definitely make the memory status red and off the charts, but I'm seeing red and orange constantly. Explorer.exe is behind Firefox with 15,052K and these are only paging file statistics.

I assume that it may be something with the 4.5 GB hard drive that may be causing these weird memory issues. My paging memory seems AOK, but I don't know what exactly is going on.

Should I reinstall Windows XP Pro with SP2 on the 160 GB hard drive again? I don't know much about hard drives, so please help me out on this one.

Or know any other solution? I already did the CCleaner, TuneUp 2006, Ad-aware check. This is close to a fresh installation too.

_________

This is without Firefox 2.0.0.1 running.
    With process memory consumption like this, how could I reach up to 70-80% memory usage?

Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 20, 2006, 04:38 PM
    I'm sorry but from what you have posted I don't see any issue.
    With a dual core CPU and XP SP2 your maxmem apps could be giving you miss leading information.

Are you experiencing any performance issues ?
    Asher Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 04:49 PM
    My current CPU is only 2.8 GHz by Intel. I am experiencing some performance issues with some programs.

I tried installing a program earlier and it crashed my computer. I used the TuneUp Utilities RAM optimizer to read my RAM consumption instead of the MaxMem reader and it said that only 5MB or less was left remaining while the installer was running.

The Windows Task Manager showed nothing blatantly off the charts.

But I guess it may be a problem on my side. I didn't do any tweaks to the system and how to make it run faster.. but I do have one question. Is it okay to install and boot XP from my I: hard drive (3.5 GBs)?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cd drive problems/hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I'm using windows xp pro I've got a lite-on combo cd drive :E Basically I tried 2 fix my e drive because it wasn't reading cds (on dvds) and I think I put a virus on my computer When I tried 2 restart it came up with something like.. Windows cannot start up properly due to a recent...

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Cd Rom Drive Issue In Win Xp Pro [ 3 Answers ]

I am having problems with Windows XP Pro and CD and or DVD Rom Drives on IDE. I keep getting "Code 37" Windows cannot initialize device driver for this hardware. In I have tried to troubleshoot via Windows (useless!) I have tried several registry cleaners. No help. Of course I can'r re-install the...

Hard drive [ 8 Answers ]

The computer I am working on won't boot Windows up all the way. When I turn the computer on it boots up the background then stalls with the background displayed but no icons or anything. I am assuming that my hard drive is bad... if not could you tell me any other diagnoses? Anyway, if my...

View more questions Search