Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kesha10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2010, 11:15 AM
    Do I have rights over my niece and nephew?
    I have taken care of my niece and nephew for 2 years now. My sister has no home or no job and just expects to come and pack them up and move up north. She has never helped me support them and she stays at a hotel with her boyfriend and never comes to see the kids unless they get into a disagreement. I've spoken with Family Services in the past about this but nothing has never happened. I'm not sure if I have any rights to have the children stay with me, or..
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2010, 12:01 PM

You only have rights over someone else's kids if the court gives them to you.

File for custody with the court.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 9, 2010, 01:09 PM

How have you been providing them with medical care? Are they of school age? If so, how were they registered in school.

Unless you have adopted them or been awarded custody by a court they are your sister's children and she can pack them up and take them whenever.

Where is the father in all this?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 9, 2010, 05:34 PM

No you do not have any specific rights , excpet the right to file in court for guardianship

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get coustody of niece and nephew? [ 1 Answers ]

I am 25 and I have a 7 year nephew and a 4 year old niece. They are my brothers kids and they live with him and there mother. They do nothing but fight all the time. Sometimes they beat each other in front of the kids. I just picked them up on Wednesday and haven't took them back yet cause they...

Adopting my niece or nephew [ 1 Answers ]

My sister in law just told me that she is pregnant with her 11th child and she doesn't want him/her. She wants my fiancé and I to have the child. Both parents do not want the child because neither of them have a job and have 10 other kids to take care of. I would like to know what to expect in...

Can I foster my niece and nephew [ 2 Answers ]

My niece is seven years old and my nephew is a few months old. Their parents are going through a custody battle, one of many. When it goes to court again, I'd like to know the chances of the court dismissing both parents and asking for possible family members to take them on. Both parents aren't...

Custody of my niece and nephew [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Can you tell me if I have any rights to apply for legal guardianship or custody of any kind of my niece and nephew who are 2 and 1 who I have had fulltime for the past 9 months Thank you

View more questions Search