Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rlrl2010 Posts: 85, Reputation: 3

Aug 6, 2010, 03:22 PM
    FBI Expungement
    My question involves a background check in the State of: All States

Fr Chuck I know you have experience with this

Hi. I was charged with a class B Misdemeanor in NY in 1996, but pled guilty to a violation which is a non criminal offense in NY

After a year the case was sealed via NY State CPL 160.55 which seals the fingerprint record, DA records, police records in NY, leaving the records unsealed only to law enforcement in the event of a pistol permit or subsequent arrest

Sealing 160.55 also forwards an expungement order to the FBI requesting destroyal of any information pertaining to the arrest

After many years of wondering, I ran my prints through the FBI 2 years ago and the results were "no arrest record".

I have heard that even if an FBI record is expunged, it can still be found. I have heard 2 versions more or less

The first is that the FBI/NCIC will always have the details of an arrest, just that they will not release it due to it's expunged status to anyone unless it's for a security clearance

The second is that the FBI will have a copy of your prints in their files with your SS#, DOB and name, but all info about the arrest will be removed, and it will be a mystery as to what happened

NY State tells me anything sealed will not be released to any govt agencies

I'm confused, if you are say going for a pistol permit in a state other than the one you were arrested in, can the checking state get into the arresting state's files, or do they use FBI? And if FBI/NCIC sees your prints on file with no other info, are you obligated to tell them what happened?

Thanks for reading--RLRL
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2010, 05:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rlrl2010 View Post
    My question involves a background check in the State of: All States

Fr Chuck I know you have experience with this

Hi. i was charged with a class B Misdemeanor in NY in 1996, but pled guilty to a violation which is a non criminal offense in NY

After a year the case was sealed via NY State CPL 160.55 which seals the fingerprint record, DA records, police records in NY, leaving the records unsealed only to law enforcement in the event of a pistol permit or subsequent arrest

Sealing 160.55 also forwards an expungement order to the FBI requesting destroyal of any information pertaining to the arrest

After many years of wondering, i ran my prints thru the FBI 2 years ago and the results were "no arrest record".

I have heard that even if an FBI record is expunged, it can still be found. I have heard 2 versions more or less

The first is that the FBI/NCIC will always have the details of an arrest, just that they will not release it due to it's expunged status to anyone unless it's for a security clearance

the second is that the FBI will have a copy of your prints in their files with your SS#, DOB and name, but all info about the arrest will be removed, and it will be a mystery as to what happened

NY State tells me anything sealed will not be released to any govt agencies

I'm confused, if you are say going for a pistol permit in a state other than the one you were arrested in, can the checking state get into the arresting state's files, or do they use FBI? And if FBI/NCIC sees your prints on file with no other info, are you obligated to tell them what happened?

Thanks for reading--RLRL

If you are wanting to get a gun permit the answer is NO, your previous conviction won't matter as it was NOT a felony conviction. Misdemeanors don't count when it comes to getting gun permits in any state. There is a big difference in a misdemeanor and a felony.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2010, 07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rlrl2010 View Post
    the second is that the FBI will have a copy of your prints in their files with your SS#, DOB and name, but all info about the arrest will be removed, and it will be a mystery as to what happened
    Hello r:

If you believe the feds are going to destroy their records because some little piddly state TOLD them to, I have a bridge to sell you. Hell, the FBI doesn't even DO what the federal government tells it to.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2010, 07:21 AM

NY State is lying to you - I'm in NY. I was in law enforcement. Now I'm a liability investigator.

NY is lying.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Expungement [ 2 Answers ]

Hi What if I go to the visa interview after expungement ? Is there any chances of re opening the case ? Is it safe if I re open the case and what I am elligeble even after I reopen the casse for expungement ? :confused:

How long for an expungement? [ 3 Answers ]

About how long does it take to have your record expunged? And are there any reasons it wouldn't go through if all requirements have been met? The paperwork was never filed by an attorney, the court had information on how to do it on the website without one... was it wise NOT to use an attorney?

Expungement and FBI/NCIC records [ 7 Answers ]

This post is meant really for Fr Chuck who seems to know how this works. I had an arrest for a class b misdemeanor for which I pled guilty to a violation, a non-criminal offense in NY state in 1996 In 1997 as per NY CPL 160.55 my fingerprints were destroyed in NY state (except for law...

Expungement for a felon [ 1 Answers ]

I have a felony charge from 6 yrs. Ago... what and who do I need to contact in regards to trying to get expungement for the crime?

View more questions Search