Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nanetteinman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2010, 07:57 PM
    How do you calculate the capital gains tax on a sold property that was inherited?
    My two sisters and I inherited our grandmother's house, and today sold it to our cousin (his grandmother as well). The property was sold for $52,000, and we each (the three of us) received checks for more than $17,000. How do I calculate what my capital gains tax will be?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 6, 2010, 06:57 AM
    The basis for the house is the Fair Market Value of the house either on the date of your grandmother's death, or on the six-month anniversary of her death. Contact the estate executor to determine which date was used. If not date was designated, it defaults to the date of her death.

The rest is grade school math (FMV / 3 = basis; $17,000 minus basis is capital gain or loss). The capital gain tax rate is probably 5%, but at most 15%.
    Bridget schanz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2011, 07:58 PM
    I sold my one-third interest of an inherited property to my sisters for $80,000 . How much would I have to pay in capital gains tax ?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 7, 2011, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget schanz View Post
    I sold my one-third interest of an inherited property to my sisters for $80,000 . How much would I have to pay in capital gains tax ?
    Did you not read what AtlantaTaxExpert wrote in his earlier response? You would owe capital gains on the difference between your proceeds from the sale and your cost basis. Your cost basis is your portion of the fair market value of the property as of the date of death (or the alternative valuation date of 6 months later). Ask the executor of the estate to provide that information to you. If it turns out that this you have a loss you can not deduct the loss unless the property was used for business purposes.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 7, 2011, 08:15 AM
    See below. What was the BASIS for the property?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Capital gains tax on inherited real estate [ 1 Answers ]

In may of '03, my father quit claimed his home to his 4 kids, on the tax rolls it was valued at 75k. In July of 09 he moved to a nursing home and we started to clean and fix for a sale which happened in May of 2010 @ 120k. Each child received a check for 29,679.00 after fees.How do we figure the...

Capital Gains Tax on Inherited Property [ 2 Answers ]

Good Day! My father-in-law recently passed away leaving a two family home to my wife and brothers-in-law. (No liens. No mortgage.) The home was purchased some 37 years ago for $43,000.00. The current appraised value is $525,000. Will they have to pay capital gains taxes on the property...

Capital Gains on 50% interest of Inherited property [ 3 Answers ]

My sister and I inherited our mother's condo on Nov 10, 2005. It was sold on Apr 28, 2006 at a capital gain of $29,823 (adding settlement costs and attorney fees into the cost basis). We each owned 50% of the property. How do I file my capital gains - do I use Schedule D? I do not see a way...

Do I pay Capital gains on property sold in Italy? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US Citizen and US resident, but I own real estate in Italy. I wish to sell it, and in Italy there are no capital gains taxes on real estate. My question is, must I pay capital gains on this property here in the States? Thanks! Sal

View more questions Search