Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    venusx2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2010, 09:18 AM
    Scotts s1642 how do I get to the pulley for the transmission
    My Scotts S1642 Lawnmower started making a loud screeching noise while mowing. The mower will move slowly forward or back but when I try to go faster the noise starts. I need to check the pulley at the top of the transmission, how do I get to it? Thanks
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 31, 2010, 03:05 PM
    Hi,
    That is unlikely the culprit; it instead is probably one of the idlers. See the attached picture of the drive system. There are three possible culprits and it could be more than one.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Attached Images

venusx2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2010, 06:57 AM
    Thanks Clarke for the answer. My friend that was going to work on it prefers not to start tearing it down. I am taking it to a repair shop instead. I hope it does not cost me an arm and a leg.
    Venus
    floatafly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2011, 02:54 PM
    I had the same problem with the loud noise and no movement. I took off the tranny. It's not too hard. Remove the belt. You just have to pull a cotter pin on the trannys left side, I think this is for the brake,and disconnect the shift arm (one nut) on the right. These were easy to get to with the rear wheels off. Put a jack under the tranny and remove the six bolts. The lever to disengage the tranny for towing can remain attached if you roll the tranny forward as you lower it to remove it. I found the pulley worn and the shaft. I called Tuff Torq who made the tranny and they sent me a kit to replace the shaft, seal and bearing for $25. This can be done without tearing the tranny apart! The pulley comes from the Deere dealer.
    jusher03 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2012, 08:33 AM
    Found the same when I pulled out trans axle this weekend. Thanks for the post will attempt same fix.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Test Scott S1642 PTO Switch [ 5 Answers ]

How do I test the safety switches on my Scott S1642 lawn tractor? My wife said she slammed the blade engagement handle forward and got the blades moving one time but latter on she tried it again but the blades would not engage. She knows not to be so rough with tools but the mower just got under...

I need a wiring diagram for a Scotts lawn tractor model s1642 [ 8 Answers ]

I own a Scotts lawn tractor model 1642 that won't start (turn over). The battery is good and I've replaced the solenoid. I believe its one of the many safety interlocks that's the cause.

Scotts S1642 by John Deere Drive Belt Diagram [ 3 Answers ]

1. Looking for a Scotts S1642 by John Deere Drive Belt Diagram. Owners manual only has a diagram for the deck/mower belt. The diagram on the John Deere web site has four pulleys but mower has five. Any help would be appreciated.

Scotts Rider 1642H transmission issue [ 1 Answers ]

This mower has a hydo transmission. It has started making a load noise when moved into drive or reverse and will hardly move. Can it be a low fluid issue or what else?

Scotts lawn tractor s1642 [ 1 Answers ]

My scotts tractor s1642 blew the drive belt. There is no information in the owners manuel on how to replace this belt, only how to replace the mower belt. HELP PLEASE.

View more questions Search