Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nvet44 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2010, 12:03 PM
    2004 F250 turbo problems
    We have a 2004 turbo diesel with 36,000 miles. Low use truck primarily for towing 2-H gooseneck. In the past 6 months we've had new tires put on, violent shaking resulting in the GCR (?) valve being replaced, and then tire rods. Truck makes a "barking" sound when coming to the top of the hill and gearing down from 2000 to 1000 rpm so now their telling us we need to replace (preferably)/repair the unison ring because it's freezing. After spending close to $6,000 already... help.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2010, 12:21 PM

Many of the problems with the 6.0L diesel engine are a result of not using full-synthetic heavy duty diesel oil. This causes untold problems with the EGR Valve and the turbos. Use the Motorcraft engine oil filter (likely FL-1995) and one of the synthetic oils recommended in the link below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1415281

Are they talking about replacing the unison ring, due to problems with the turbo? If so, try using the oil I recommended first and see if it doesn't help. They may be suggesting you move to a Variable Geometry Turbo (VGT) to improve lower rpm performance--this stuff is expensive.

If you are having outer tie-rod end problems, grease your ball joints and outer tie-rod ends with Valvoline Synpower Grease every 15,000 miles. This synthetic grease with moly meets Ford truck front end requirements.
    nvet44 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2010, 12:49 PM

So even though we are taking the truck to a Ford dealer they may not be using the appropriate oil?
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2010, 01:00 PM

Yes, like every manufacturer (Exxon-Mobil included), Ford makes different quality grades of products. Just as you wouldn't use conventional oil in a jet engine, you shouldn't use it in a turbo diesel engine. It requires a whole different level of performance. This is what you want to TELL Ford to use:

Motorcraft® SAE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Diesel Motor Oil

Usage:

. For light- and heavy-duty diesel engine applications
    . Particularly recommended for use in Ford vehicles equipped with Power Stroke® engines, such as trucks, buses and construction vehicles
    . Recommended for use in Power Stroke® diesel engines over a wide temperature range, from down to -20°F (-29°C) to up to 100°F (38°C).
    . Designed for new-generation, low-emission diesel engines
    . Can be used in older engines where the manufacturer recommends API Categories CD, CF-4, CG-4, CH-4, CI-4 and CI-4 plus

Important note: Not for use in gasoline engines equipped with catalysts

Features:

. High-performance motor oil for Ford diesel vehicles
    . Meets American Petroleum Institute (API) Service Category CJ-4, required for use in diesel engines designed to meet 2007 on-highway exhaust emission standards and requiring ultra low sulfur diesel fuel
    . Formulated with synthetic base oils and unique additive technology
    . Satisfies Ford Motor Company warranty requirements, as well as those of most other domestic and import diesel engine manufacturers
    . Helps provide excellent soot control
    . Helps protect against wear, deposits, rust, corrosion, foaming, sludge formation, high-temperature oxidation and thickening
    . Protects exhaust aftertreatment systems such as particulate filters
    . Provides excellent performance in older-generation diesel engines operating on high-sulfur fuel
    . Available in four (4) five-quart bottles or 55-gallon quantities
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2010, 01:07 PM

Jet engines and turbos have similarities. They develop tremendous heat, pressure, horsepower, and rpm.

Every commercial and military jet engine in the world only use full-synthetic oil; e.g. Mobil Jet Oil 254. Only they can continuously take the heat, pressure, and withstand the oxidation these oils are subjected to.

When your turbo is turned off, it continues to spin at 200,000 rpm for several minutes at very high temperatures. Conventional oil in the turbo can't take that beating for long, before it starts to break down and result in wear. Here's a video you should enjoy (Click on Turbochargers Withstand High Heat Video):

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...os/Videos.aspx

Ford Diesel PSDs rule in Texas. Every rancher and urban cowboy I know uses full-synthetic HDDO in their diesel engines and synthetic ATF in their transmission. Most have been doing this for years. I'm really not sharing anything new.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Erratic Transmission shifting 6.0 litre turbo diesel 2004 Ford F250 [ 3 Answers ]

Has any one experienced any trouble with the transmission on a 2004 Ford F-250 6.0 litre turbo diesel HD edition. The transmission gauge goes dead and the check gauge light on the instrument cluster illuminates. The tow / haul light illuminates and flashes. The check engine light illuminates and...

Problems coolant leaking with 2004 ford f250 xlt power stroke diesel 6.0 [ 4 Answers ]

Problems with coolant leaking with 2004 ford f250 xlt power stroke diesel 6.0. My truck does not overheat but I'm losing coolant very rapidly after turning it off, the dealer claims that the EGR controller is bad and the head gaskets are blown I find that hard to believe since the motor only has...

Ford F250 2004 6.0 Diesel problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2004 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel. Had a problem with cooling fan coming on when towing my fifthwheel. Coming home from a trip the fan kept coming on and off. Also the tramsmission started to shift bad. Had to let my rpms drop to shift and it would work at times and sometimes not. Was using the...

F250 05 6.0 turbo slow to engage [ 1 Answers ]

Just had new PCM, TPS & ICP sensor installed & now the turbo is slow to engage on take off & at low speeds. Once turbo pressure builds, runs fine. No problems starting & no rough idle.

2001 Ford F250 Turbo Diesel Mechanical problems [ 3 Answers ]

4X4 problem, seems like a switch or fuse or relay switch. Recent trip and it will not engage.

View more questions Search