Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    svchidu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2010, 05:36 AM
    Companies act 1956 section274
    Under section 274 (1)(g) which is disqualifiying director for not filing Annual Accounts and Annual Return for 3 years and more in a public company. I would like to know whether non filing any one i.e annual return or annual accounts constitutes for default or filing of any one of the returns avoids default.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 28, 2010, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by svchidu View Post
    under section 274 (1)(g) which is disqualifiying director for not filing Annual Accounts and Annual Return for 3 years and more in a public company. I would like to know whether non filing any one i.e annual return or annual accounts constitutes for default or filing of any one of the returns avoids default.
    Without a link to this statute (what state or country?), I'd guess that the answer is no, failing to file just one document out of a list of several required in a 3-year period, doesn't trigger the "disqualifying"/ "default" provision.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 28, 2010, 11:27 AM
    Is this the act you are referring to: The Companies Act, 1956

s274: http://www.vakilno1.com/bareacts/companiesact/s274.htm
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 28, 2010, 12:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Is this the act you are referring to: The Companies Act, 1956

s274: Laws - Companies Act - Section 274
    Ah. Thanks, Curl.

This language:
    "(1) A person shall not be capable of being appointed director of a company, if-
    (A) has not filed the annual accounts and annual returns for any continuous three financial years ... ."
    Means that he/she woud be disqualiified for failure to file all 3 consecutive filings. However the next language is more severe:
    "Provided that such person shall not be eligible to be appointed as a director of any other public company for a period of five years from the date on which such public company, in which he is a director, failed to file annual accounts and annual returns under sub-clause (a)"
    I assume "sub-clauuse (a)" refers to the immediately predeeding sub-clause (g)(A). It takes only one failure to file.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cas law under section 274(1)(g) of the Companies act, 1956 [ 2 Answers ]

I want case law under section 274 (1)(g) which is disqualifiying director for not filing Annual Return for 3 years and more in a public company. On what grounds we can make defence against disqualifiying.

Dividend u/s 205 of The Companies Act,1956 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Wheteher a company (with carry forwards losses and after providing depreciation) can declare dividend?

View more questions Search