Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    linked Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2010, 08:39 AM
    Is it a HIPPA violation for a person to have home access to a hospital computer?
    Management is monitoring workflow of off shifts from home computers, which gives them access to patients information such as,insurance,diagnosis,treatment, etc,
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2010, 08:40 AM

Are they disclosing the info to anyone who is not authorized?

Jul 25, 2010, 08:46 AM

Anyone in their home could access information.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2010, 09:30 AM

Could or does? I have a home office. I don't disclose anything nor does anyone have any of my passwords.

HIPAA does not address "could have, would have, should have" situations.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 25, 2010, 10:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by linked View Post
    Management is monitoring workflow of off shifts from home computers, which gives them access to patients information such as,insurance,diagnosis,treatment, etc,
    So your concern is that someone in the home could access the information. Has the IT department provided any security to control access of the information?

It might be considered a HIPAA violation if no controls are in place, but I seriously doubt that is the case.

What is your position/concern in this?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 12:35 PM

No, the company site will be password protected, and only the user can have access.

No this is not a violation in any sense of the word.

Doctors normally will have access to their files and records from home.

It is giving that info out, where the issue is, if they access it, and then tells someone.

Jul 25, 2010, 05:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    So your concern is that someone in the home could access the information. Has the IT department provided any security to control access of the information?

It might be considered a HIPAA violation if no controls are in place, but I seriously doubt that is the case.

What is your position/concern in this?
    My concern is this person accessed my husbands medical information a year ago and the HR department was informed and all they did was have her apologize.Perhaps my issue is more of trust! Thanks for your input.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 05:47 PM

Do they have a reason to access it ? If their job position gives them unlimited access to patients files and permission to review them, there is no issue.

And again, are they giving out or telling any of the info, that is the where the violations come into play.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 25, 2010, 05:52 PM

Ok, so now we get to the heart of the matter.

How did you find out she did this? What did she do with the information? Was she not entitled to look at those records as part of her job?

How do you know that's all they did? I suspect the transgression was entered into her HR and a repeat might get her into more serious trouble. Its also possible she was sent to refresher HIPAA training.

What do you think should have happened?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 08:39 PM

Too add, what position does this person hold?

Many medical coders work from home these days, so they would have access to quite a bit of information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

Is sharing nursing notes and hospital notes with physician a HIPPA violation [ 7 Answers ]

Pediatric patient has homehealth. Patient has lived with grandparents for 4 years. Mother has now come back into picture. For the best interest of the child, is it a HIPPA violation for a nurse to dicuss homehealth record with physician during hospitalizations.

If someone uses there home computer to access there work computer is there a way to g [ 2 Answers ]

If someone uses there home computer to access there work computer is there a way to get the password.

Is there way to access the computer of(the person you are chatting with) ,while chat? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, My question is ,Is it possible to gain access to the computer( the person you are chatting with) ,while in a chat.. If it's really possible then how? I just want 2 gain access to my friends PC , while on a chat conversation.. Please help with this... I have learnt about...

View more questions Search