Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kmeewildflwr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2010, 12:36 PM
    How do I get my mother to stop hating my husband
    My husband and my mother had a falling out. My mom thinks my husband is a bum. My husband does not disrespect her he has his own ideas and views. We are in our 40's and my mom keeps sending me little jabs by saying my husband is cutting ties with my family and myself and that is just not true at all I am very close to the rest of my family. I don't know what to do.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2010, 01:47 PM

In my eyes he's your husband. He deserves your loyality. Me? I'd tell my mother to back off and call her on every "jab."

If she didn't she would see a lot less of me.

I refuse to defend my husband - I may not always agree but I always have his back.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 23, 2010, 02:23 PM

I would have a canned response ready for every jab she makes, like "Yeah, right, Mom." Otherwise, I wouldn't respond further to any of her jabs and would move the conversation into something pleasant. In fact, I might just skip the canned response (why even acknowledge her nastiness?? ) and move immediately into the pleasant comment or observation.
    kmeewildflwr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2010, 02:58 PM
    Thank you for the input everyone! I just needed to hear if what I was thinking was right and It sounds like it is.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2010, 05:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I would have a canned response ready for every jab she makes, like "Yeah, right, Mom." Otherwise, I wouldn't respond further to any of her jabs and would move the conversation into something pleasant. In fact, I might just skip the canned response (why even acknowledge her nastiness???) and move immediately into the pleasant comment or observation.

I can handle a straight out insult. I can't handle the little jabs. Those I address.

That and cowards who hide behind little jabs.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2010, 06:09 PM

The fact that he is disrespectful to your mother has me wondering what kind of man he really is.

Is he a "bum"? Does he work?

How does he treat you? Is he disrespectful to you?

We all have our own opinions, and we can't expect everyone to like them. But if he is just minding his own business, and your mother attacks him just for being there, then maybe you should ask her if it's worth losing her daughter over.

In the meanwhile, he should treat her with respect at all costs. He can distance himself from her and be respectful at the same time.

I have to ask, how does your mother act with other in-laws?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I stop hating women? [ 30 Answers ]

I'm in high school now and the actions of girls and women in general have started to disgust me. Their inferiority, disloyalty, differences from boys, stupidity, and their power over men sickens me. I don't want to be a sexist and I don't want to turn out being gay (not that there is anything wrong...

Hating helping my husband make a 4.0 [ 8 Answers ]

My husband has a lot of pressure from his job to take a few college courses. The only trouble is that he claims that he is not any good at school and has a hard time understanding what the classes are teaching. He has asked for my help. I decided to help him with the first class (on a subject I am...

How to stop hating my mother [ 2 Answers ]

I hate my mother but at the same time I respect her. I tend to do self-destructive things just to make her upset. I know I am hurting myself and I should not hate my mother but I don't know how to change. I frankly wonder if it is even possible to change. What should I do?

View more questions Search