Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KydSplash Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2010, 12:06 AM
    Can A 17 Year Old Have A Relationship With A 24 Year Old In The State Of Georgia?
    I Am A 17 Year-old girl Dating a 24 year old woman. Is It Illegal In The State Of Georgia Or Illinois For Us To Be Dating. She Lives In Georgia And I Live In Illinois Is That Illegal?
    imation Posts: 284, Reputation: 36

Jul 19, 2010, 02:18 AM

Where I am from, sexual contact with a minor (under 18) from someone who is older than 18 is illegal. Not too sure about america, but I would assume the same. That's not to say you can't date... dating is legal no matter what. But if you are really worried, you can ring your local council :)
    loveless044 Posts: 70, Reputation: 2

Aug 14, 2010, 05:11 PM

No you cannot. I live in Georgia and I'm 17. Since you're 17, dating anyone 20 years or older is illegal and if your parents don't like it, they can have that person put away for child mulestation, whether you like them or not because you, my friend, are a minor.

... Is this even physical contact because you are far away...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 14, 2010, 05:33 PM

I wish I could agree, GA changed the age of consent a few years ago to 16. They have even overturned some of the rape cases where teachers where having sex with their students in GA very recently. ( the student consented, which goes against the old rules that an authority figure could use undo pressure and consent was not always consent)

But there are other laws that the 16 year olds parents can use to stop it if they wish.
    kaka67 Posts: 261, Reputation: 200

Aug 15, 2010, 02:58 AM
    FYI: Australia age of consent laws.

http://www.aifs.gov.au/nch/pubs/sheets/rs16/rs16.html

Your in USA so not relevant. Just out of interest for anyone who cares :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 15, 2010, 04:09 AM

First, since your question is about legality, its been moved to the appropriate forum. Second, This is a question that is often asked and answered. It is a good idea to browse or search for similar questions before posting your own.

There are no laws anywhere that I know of that deal with dating. All the laws refer to sexual activity. No sex, no laws broken.

But I wonder how you can call it dating when you live so far away? Have you ever met face to face?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a 13 year old legally date a 17 year old in the state of Oregon [ 6 Answers ]

I am 13 years old turning 14 in one month and this guy I like is 17 can we legally date in the state of Oregon.

Spouse part year state resident, me full year [ 1 Answers ]

My husband retired from the military June 1, 2008. His entire career he was a NH resident. For the 3 years we were married prior to hi retirement, we filed married filing separately because I have always been a MA resident. He switched his residence July 2008 and we are now wondering how to...

10 year relationship, 2 year marriage. And now he questions what true love is [ 2 Answers ]

Background (it's a long one, too): We are in our mid 20's and have known each other for 10 years. We dated exclusively through high school but without any commitment to marriage. That "in love" blissful feeling lasted for quite some time, well into our college years. He has always been a...

Last year State tax refund and do I report it this year on the state tax form ? [ 2 Answers ]

I received a state tax refund last year from New York. Must I include that amount as income on my New York return this year?

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

View more questions Search