Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Carolineelise Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2010, 11:16 AM
    Small claims consent Judgment
    In Georgia, can you appeal a consent judgment? I agreed to a payment plan on a suit against me because I did not have the full amount. I did not know there was a statute of limitation. A family member had helped me out 5 years ago and after a falling out sued me for the $2,500. I have made 4 of 10 payments, but now I find out the statute of limitation is 4 years
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2010, 06:03 AM

You extended the statute by making the payments - it now runs from the time of the last payment. The creditor is in a position to sue youand get a Judgment and you cannot argue statute of limitations.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2010, 07:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolineelise View Post
    In Georgia, can you appeal a consent judgment? I agreed to a payment plan on a suit against me because I did not have the full amount. I did not know there was a statute of limitation. A family member had helped me out 5 years ago and after a falling out sued me for the $2,500. I have made 4 of 10 payments, but now I find out the statute of limitation is 4 years
    Judy, I read that the OP has already been sued, consented to a judgment and established a payment plan with the plaintiff... no?

To the OP: you cannot appeal unless you did not understand what you were agreeing to, or if the court acted in an improper manner. SOL should have been argued at the hearing, not after you consented to judgment and then started making payments.

And as Judy already pointed out, SOL runs from the date of last activity - which would be a payment. If someone lends you $10 on January 1, 2005 - SOL would expire in Georgia on January 1, 2009. Let's say you gave them $1 on July 1, 2008 - SOL would then expire on July 1, 2012, not from the date that the original loan was made.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2010, 05:23 AM

Without knowing what OP means by "consent Judgment," it's hard to know - if, in fact, it WAS a Judgment, OP owes.

If, in fact, it was NOT a Judgment - OP just extended Statute.

Good catch -
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2010, 06:43 AM

You're right either way. I see plenty of people show up for court, admit to owing the money and working out a payment plan - the judgment is still placed against them because they acknowledged that they owe the debt.

My guess was that the OP consented to the judgment before they were aware of statute of limitations and now wants to know if they can undo it... which is odd, because on the 1st question they asked they had no idea what SOL was.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 17, 2010, 07:14 AM

Why did you agree to paymemts you could not make ?

But you will owe the money, so figure out how to pay them.

If they got a judgement, it is good for 10 years. If there is no judgement, the SOL runs from the date of last payment ( and in some cases date of last promise to pay)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Small claims judgment against me [ 9 Answers ]

HI... I have an s corp with a judgement against me. Is there any way they can go after my bank accounts?

Friend claims I owe him money and is taking it to small claims court [ 2 Answers ]

I was on holiday with a friend who booked and paid for a trip. When we got home he asked me for the money for this trip. He never told me how much it cost or that he would want me to contribute until afterwards. I have told him that he should have asked first and I wouldn't have gone as I cannot...

Small claims judgment [ 1 Answers ]

What can the PA sheriff take to satisfy a credit card debt?

Judgment / small claims [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there. I have a judgment against a person and I'm trying to collect, but when I went to Marshalls and they try to collect from employer but her employer state that she is not making enough money so I can't collect any money. I want to know if there is anyway to find where the person has bank...

Notice of motion to vacate judgment in small claims [ 4 Answers ]

I need to find out How to file a notice of motion to vacate a small claims judgment. Where do I get the form? Is one available on line? I was served with papers on a case. I called to reschedule. I was told fine it would be reschuled. I come back from vacation and I have a judgmnt agaiinst ...

View more questions Search