Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Green Elephant Posts: 106, Reputation: 8

Jul 12, 2010, 10:31 PM
    Adopting a Dog
    Hello all,

I'm sad to say that my girl will soon be moving away fro grad school, and although we agreed that we will stick it out and stay together, we also agreed that she should take our Jack Russell so she's not alone.

With that being said I will soon want to adopt a dog. I'm thinking about German Shepherd since I've always wanted one. The thing is, I'm not too familiar with how to go about getting one.

I'm not very interested in going to a breeder. I'm more interested in rescuing, or adopting.

I'm in need of advice however since I don't know how to go about doing so. Do I Google search local rescue shelters, or dog pounds? Is there a more sufficient way of going about it?

Any advice on the subject would be much appreciated of course.

Thanks!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 12, 2010, 10:37 PM

First, you need to read up on German Shepherds. Would that breed fit into your lifestyle?

All the articles I've read say adopting a mutt from a shelter is the best way to go. The shelter will probably know the dog's history and will be there if you have questions.

This site will take you right to a shelter near you --

Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder

Jul 12, 2010, 10:38 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    Oh Great! Thank you
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2010, 08:10 AM

There are a lot of rescues that are breed specific. Petfinder is a good place to start. You can also Google GSD rescues and ones in your area will pop up first.

Going through a rescue instead of an actual shelter will guarantee a purebred. Some of the dogs are surrendered directly from a home to the rescue. They have dogs all ages.. puppies to seniors. Most have a medical history and temperament history.

Good luck in your search!
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2010, 11:29 AM

Petfinder is definitely the way to go. Many pounds, shelters, and rescues advertise there.

Just go to Petfinder.com and fill in the info on the left side of the screen (animal, breen, location) and you're in business.

I bred German Shepherds for years and have found them to be a delightful family member, as long as you train them and give them plenty of love and exercise.

Jul 13, 2010, 05:21 PM
    Thank you all for taking the time. I've emailed about a few German Shepherds through petfinder, and I'm very excited.

Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Adopting [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am 23 years old just recently got married in march this year I have a 4 year old son who is not my husbands son could you help us my husband want's to know how he can adoped my son and how much it will cost thanks :confused:

Fostering not adopting [ 36 Answers ]

I am a daycare provider for 3 foster boys, the foster parents that they are living with have been demmed unfit. Notheing horrible happened they just are not OK to do this anymore. Since February I have been watching these boys from 9-6:30 pm. They need to be placed in another home. Their mother...

How to go about adopting... [ 3 Answers ]

Where do you begin to adopt a child? What is the best route? My life partner & I want a baby to love. We are not legally "partners"/ or married as of yet. Should I go about this as single before we legalize? I don't know legally how we can go about this, what the laws are in Fla. In a...

Looking into adopting [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my soon to be husband and I have been looking into adopting a child/newborn with down syndrome has anyone done this or have a child with downs we are just starting to look into this we would like to adopt after we get married! We both have a lot of expereince working with children youth etc with...

View more questions Search