Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MomWontGiveUp Posts: 179, Reputation: 9

Jul 12, 2010, 10:05 PM
    Purposely delayed filing taxes to exclude from BK pleadings
    Is it possible for someone to delay filing taxes for over a year so that it's excluded from consideration in their bankruptcy pleadings?

There've been a number of other things that I felt were suspicious, but then again - perhaps this is all "normal" when preparing for bankruptcy.

Things like:

O Transferring title to property to a family member in exchange for a secured "loan"

O Not declaring all personal property (not that it's MUCH, but there was not full disclosure)

But what about someone who intentionally waits to file their taxes - knowing they're going to file for bankruptcy in the upcoming year?

Example: Delay filing 2009 taxes because 2010 will be spent staging/setting up bankruptcy (quit paying all creditors, etc.) BK is filed in October/November 2010 and discharged in February/March 2011. Finally, 2009 taxes are filed in either 2011 or 2012 - well after BK discharge.

Do Trustees really not care when they suspect someone of lying during the Creditors Meeting? Am I that naïve??
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Jul 13, 2010, 04:04 PM

If you do not disclose everything in bankruptcy it may wind up being "dismissed" instead of being "discharged" If there is fraud involved that is a serious crime and "staging /setting up for bankruptcy" may land you in the slammer! You must report everything and I think at the meeting of creditors you are sworn under oath and you are asked about your income taxes. Hopefully our debt and bk expert can better answer your question
    MomWontGiveUp Posts: 179, Reputation: 9

Jul 13, 2010, 04:46 PM

DownUnder - thank you. That's what I would think - that the Creditors Meeting would require full disclosure.

I have a copy of the audio file of my ex's BK (needed to compare questions for my own debtors exam I was giving him). You can hear (without seeing) that ex is lying.

Ex took a "loan" out on his car by transferring title to his family. They signed a promissory note and gave ex $ for the "loan." Family still holds title on the auto and ex doesn't pay on the loan. It was listed in the discharge.

The Trustee was suspicious of this transaction. However, I'm now seeing some things surface that suggest that past due tax years were filed AFTER discharge. That just doesn't seem ethical to me.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2010, 09:30 AM

You should have brought these inconsistencies up to the trustee prior to any discharge of the bankruptcy proceedings. Now since everything has been discharged it is too late. And it's not unethical - it's ILLEGAL to hide assets like he has. The bankruptcy filing paperwork goes back at least 6 months prior to the date of the filing. If he "hid" the car prior to the 6 months cutoff time frame he just might have gotten away with it.

Next time, speak up before it's too late. You could contact the trustee and inquire if it's too late now to "dismiss" instead of discharge his bankruptcy. If he was suspicious of that transaction, possibly you may just have a shot at this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing Federal Taxes Jointly and State Taxes Separately [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I are both on Active Duty in the Military, and we were married in May of this year so this will be the first year filing Jointly. Is it sensible to file joint federal taxes and separate state taxes this year (Wisconsin and Maryland) even though we are both stationed and living in...

How to exclude WA income while filing CA tax return [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student in CA university since sept 2007. I have one W2 form from my university in CA. I have another W2 form from my internship in WA. While filling the federal tax returns I used both W2 forms. WA has not state tax. However while filling CA tax return, do I need to show my entire...

Married Filing Separately - Spouse non-resident, not filing you.s. Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a US Citizen living in the US full time. My husband is a Canadian resident. We got married in the US in April 2008. We are separated and did not live together during the 2008 tax year and my husband has never lived in the US and has never earned any US income. I am planning to file...

F1 Visa: Delayed form 8843 and NY state taxes [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I had 2 quick questions: I had no income from my university or any other income for 2005 and I was supposed to turn in form 8843 for 2005. But I failed to do so. For 2006, however, I did have an income from CPT (internship) in the summer in NYC. I am now in the process of filing form...

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

View more questions Search