Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    judydahlonega Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2010, 08:09 AM
    Age 68 and how to pull out 401k money
    I want to take my money out of my 401k to pay off credit card debt and reinvest the remainder of the money for future needs I am 68 yrs old. Will I have to pay federal and state taxes to do this
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 11, 2010, 08:19 AM

1. Money you pull out to use, for example to pay off your credit card debt, is taxed as ordinary income. So yes, you'll pay federal income tax on the amount you take out, and also state/local income tax (depending on where you live). The administrator will withhold 20% of your withdrawal for federal income tax purposes.

2. Money that you roll over to an IRA continues tax-deferred, so no taxes due now (assuming that you complete the roll over within 60 days). It's best to have your IRA custodian do this for you as a direct rollover, as it is simpler for you and avoids problems of 20% witholding. If you thinking about investing in a non tax-deferred account, like a regular stock or mutual fund investment, then you will pay taxes on the wihdrawal. Obviosuly if your plans are to keep this money invested it would be best to either leave it where ot is in your old 401(k) or move it to a rollover IRA
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 11, 2010, 08:22 AM

Yes, the money ( except for Roth investments) had the money put in tax free, Taxes was not paid on the money invested. So now when you withdraw the money taxes will be paid unless the money is re-invested in another plan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I know this may come at a surprise but yes I'm 27 and unable to pull my foreskin back at all. Ive never had an intercourse. Knowing these concerns , I've decided to take immediate action. Also I've had these white spots under my fore skin for a while and I believe its because I cannot clean my...

Age 591/2 can I take my 401k money [ 12 Answers ]

Without being taxed

Withdraw 401k over age 55 [ 1 Answers ]

I am over age 55 and have a 401k with about $200,000 that I need to access due to unemployment of > 4 months. We bought a house 5 months ago. Based on current economy, there are very few jobs in my occupation in this area at this time. Can you withdraw 50% of a 401k? How can I access about 1/2...

What age can I take out my 401k? [ 1 Answers ]

What age can I take out my 401k and how will it be taxed?

At the age of 59 1/2, how do you start the process to withdraw money from a 401K [ 1 Answers ]

I will be reaching 59 1/2 years old by the end of the year and need to tap into one of my 401K funds for some college money. How does that process start?

View more questions Search