Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlove01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2010, 09:13 PM
    Artist signature
    Hello, I also have a similar issue with a portrait of my late aunt who lived in Holland most of her life from the early 1930's on. I was handed down the portrait which was supposedly done by a rather well known Dutch painter of the time, knowing her tastes and the crowd she and her late husband kept it could be just about anyone and possibly as the story goes someone rather famous? The signature was very long and typical Dutch type name, very hard to read, but to make matters worse she damged the lower right corner with improper cleaning years ago, after it was left to me I had a fellow who does restoration work for the local fine arts museum clean it, re-strech the canvas and touch up the damaged lower right corner to blend it in with the whole painting. He did a fantastic job and one cannot even tell it was touched up, he did however brush over faintly the already difficult to read signature? I had taken a close up photo prior to the work, using a 45 degree pitched light to try and bring out the letters, I was only mildly successful. Do you have any advice for how I can get a proper ID on this artist name? I live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Jay Love
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2010, 01:16 AM
    Hi, jlove01!

If you have a picture of a close-up of the signature, would you be able to post it here, please?

We don't guarantee results, but we can try!

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Artist Signature [ 2 Answers ]

I was given a painting in the late 1980's and I need help researching the artist. A photo of the painting and the artist signature is attached.

Looking for the artist behind this signature [ 4 Answers ]

H I found this nice canvas CAT402 hand painted oil,tittle pebble beach cypress,I I can not identify the signature please if you can help me I will be appreciate that.thanks.I attach 2 pictures. 11797 11798

View more questions Search