Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Temeca24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2010, 10:43 AM
    Hardship letter for 401k withdrawal?
    Will they let me withdraw from my 401k to get a transmission for my car which is out of fix and I have no other means of transportation?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2010, 10:56 AM

Who do you have to ask? Are you concerned about penalities, taxes?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 6, 2010, 12:47 PM

Most plans do not allow withdrawals by active employees except for certain "hardship" conditions as mandated by law. Fixing a car's transmission does not qualify as a "hardship." But plans vary, so if you are still employed at the company where the 401(k) is located, you'll have to ask HR or the plan administrator whether withdrawals are allowed, and under what circumstances. A possible better plan would be to take a loan from your 401(k) account rather than a withdrawal, as this avoids any taxes or penalties.

If the 401(k) is with a previous employer, then you can most likely take the withdrawal, BUT you will have to pay income taxes (federal and state/local, if applicable) PLUS the 10% early withdrawal penalty. Again, you'll have to ask the plan administrator what the rules are for making a withdrawal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k hardship withdrawal [ 10 Answers ]

I will try to summarize my situation. My wife & I gross $55000/yr. We've recently re-financed our house to the max value of $110000 & still have $50000 of credit card debt. We are both losing our jobs due to a plant closing. I have a job on the horizon but, my wife, who earns the majority of the...

401k hardship withdrawal [ 7 Answers ]

I own my primary residence and if I sell it, the proceeds would cover the 1st and 2nd mortgages and closing costs - I wouldn't receive any funds at closing. So my house is not 'upside down' but it isn't 'right-side up' either. Foreclosure is NOT imminent. I want to sell this home a buy a...

401K Hardship withdrawal [ 3 Answers ]

I withdrew 21,900 from my 401K for my first time home purchase. I had the money taxed at 7%. What kind of tax bill should I expect, when I file my 2009 taxes. I am in the 40,000 tax bracket and have no real deductions. Thanks for help.

401k hardship withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

My husband took a hardship withdrawal from his 401k last month. Are we able to pay it back before April 15th and avoid paying taxes on it?

Hardship withdrawal for early withdrawal of 401K [ 0 Answers ]

I am, 56 years old, live in the State of Florida, and just lost my job. I have a small 401K ($6,000) with this company and want to withdraw all of it and put it in a savings account to help tide me over until I find another job. I know I will be charged a 10% early withdrawal fee, and I also...

View more questions Search