Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Jul 5, 2010, 11:34 AM
    Sync Outlook EXPRESS Address Book with Gmail Contacts
    I would like to find a way to SYNC my Outlook EXPRESS address book with Gmail Contacts list.

I already know how to do a manual import / export, but I want a sync utility so it's automatic.

I have been combing the internet and can't find anything for OE, just Outlook.

Thanks...
    amhd123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2011, 02:54 PM
    The Best Way to Keep Outlook Express Address Book Automatically Synchronized with Google Contacts
    http://androidnaut.blogspot.com/2011...k-express.html
    http://androidnaut.blogspot.com/2011/01/best-way-to-keep-outlook-express.html

Jan 22, 2011, 06:47 PM

Thank you for the suggestion. The article is a bit misleading. If you read down to paragraph 3, you will note that the author says the best way to sync Outlook Express with Gmail Contacts is to "get rid of Outlook Express and replace it with Thunderbird".

I don't disagree, and in fact, That is what I have done on my PC. But my wife is adamant about keeping her OE. It took her a long time to learn it and she doesn't want to change. So... I must back up her contacts manually.

I did find a full file backup application that is one of the few that will back up OE. It is called FBackup. But I was hoping to sync to Gmail contacts so I don't have to do a manual export.

Again, thanks for the suggestion.
    androidnaut Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2011, 03:56 PM
    Hi, I just happened to catch this link to my post on Androidnaut. You're right my title was misleading, but it's really the best solution in my opinion. As far as having to learn a new program, there's practically no learning curve (as my technically challenged wife can attest ;-). The Thunderbird interface is practically identical, and you can even rearrange or remove buttons to make it look and act the same way if you wish. I created a new post with some screen shots comparing Outlook Express with the way I've set up Thunderbird.
    Cheers! http://androidnaut.blogspot.com/2011...-previous.html

Feb 5, 2011, 05:11 PM
    Androidnaut. Thanks for the clarification. As I mentioned above, I switched over to T'bird when I got my Android phone. I use Google Contacts to bidirectionally sync my phone, Gmail, and T'bird in real time. It works seamlessly. I too have tweaked the heck out of T'bird to make it more user friendly (Outlook-ish).

I also use MozBackup for a very quick and easy backup of all things T'bird as well as my Firefox. (Although MozBackup is currently having a problem that is claimed to be resolved in version 1.5 which is now in Alpha)

Maybe you can convince my wife that T'bird is okay. I'm the one suffering with these manual backups. She is happy as a clam with OE. I probably need a marriage counselor more than a backup program. :-)

It is interesting however, that a program that's been around for so long (OE) doesn't have something to sync contacts.

Based on your screen name, I should probably be asking you about all the weird stuff my Samsung Moment (2.1) is doing. But that's another thread I guess.

I'll look at link now.

Thanks again.

Feb 5, 2011, 05:22 PM
    One more thing. I noticed that your T'bird has "Get Mail" in the toolbar. With this add-on you can replace that with "Send and Receive Mail" which is more OE. https://addons.mozilla.org/af/thunderbird/addon/2377/

Plus, "Get Mail" is just that, a one way function. It does not send mail.

BTW, where is the T'bird setting to open emails in separate windows instead of tabs? I couldn't find that setting.

Thanks again.

Feb 6, 2011, 07:53 AM
    Comment on mitchsc's post
    Thanks for the "Send and Receive Mail" tip, my wife will love that one! To set Thunderbird to open emails in a new window instead of a tab, go to Tools->Options->Advanced->Reading&Display and click on the radio button "A new message window".

Feb 6, 2011, 08:00 AM

Thanks AN...

Feb 6, 2011, 09:10 AM
    Comment on mitchsc's post
    Thanks, I tried the Send/Receive Addon and it works great! I found Google Calendar Tab to be handy too. It simply opens your Google Calendar in a Thunderbird Tab just like your browser:
    Addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/google-calendar-tab

Feb 6, 2011, 11:49 AM

I tried convincing my wife to try T'bird, but she is resisting the change. Maybe you should talk with her :>)

I love T'bird. I hope that MozBackup gets their v1.5 out soon, since I can't do any T'bird backups (of emails) right now.

A.N. Can you recommend a good forum for Android questions, since this thread is certainly not the right place?

Cheers...

Feb 6, 2011, 04:03 PM
    Sorry no, I haven't frequented any so I couldn't recommend any one over another.. I just visit whatever happens to come up in a Google search.

Feb 11, 2011, 11:32 AM
    Thanks...
    dpbaril Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2011, 09:40 AM
    I have exactly the same challenge w.r. to sync'ing Outlook Express/Gmail (and my wife! :-)

For now, as her need for use of Gmail web client is limited to when we travel, I can might be able to get away with a one time snapshot of OE addresses exported to .csv and then imported to Gmail. In longer term, migration to Thunderbird sounds viable if it can be configured to resemble OE. And then I could gradually wean her from local store by converting to IMAP! I have limited experience with Thunderbird but I assume it would be relatively straightforward to import data (mail and address book info) from OE?

Thanks for useful discussion.

Sep 17, 2011, 09:43 AM
    It is so easy to migrate from OE to T'bird, you won't believe it. Once you download T'bird, it simply asks you if you wish to transfer emails and address book, and make T'bird your default mail client.

If you want to make T'bird look more like OE, consider these add-ons: Toolbar Buttons 1.0, Extra Folder Columns 1.1.3, and Google Contacts 0.6.36 (to sync with Gmail).

Note also that some of these add-ons do not yet work with the latest version of T'bird. I am still using v3.3.14 for now, so the add-ons still work. With a bit of playing around, especially with Toolbar Buttons, you can make T'bird look a lot like OE.

Good luck...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlook Express: Big Address Book but nothing in Contacts [ 11 Answers ]

Got a new laptop and imported my address book (wab) into OE... the same way I've done it dozens of times over the years... But on this 'puter the Contacts pane is empty. When I go to the address book (from within OE) all my contacts are there, and when I go to send an email and start typing...

Sync outlook express address book with gmail contacts [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to find a way to SYNC my Outlook Express address book with Gmail Contacts list. I already know how to do a manual import / export, but I want a sync utility so it's automatic. I have been combing the internet and can't find anything for OE, just Outlook. Thanks...

Address book in outlook express [ 2 Answers ]

I have imported contacts but it shows the address book is empty.The contacts I have imported are 150. Thanks Eunice

Export groups from outlook express address book [ 0 Answers ]

I have the following problem: I have my contacts in groups in my outlook express contact list. I need this contacts, sorted by groups in csv or excel. If I import them to e.g. Outlook I get the contacts, but not sorted in groups.

Outlook express address book [ 1 Answers ]

Outlook express address book How do I rebuild a lost address book on outlook express

View more questions Search