Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    petec Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2006, 09:03 AM
    Low water pressure after replacing well pump
    I recently replaced a well pump. After the pump was replaced, within a day, we started to get low water pressure in the house. It starts strong for about 30 sec, and then it gets very low - not to a tricle- but not strong either. I've been reading other threads, and thought about increasing pressure cut in and cut out on the pressure switch. Would that help? Any other ideas? If there is air in the line/pipes, how do I get air out? I ran the faucets open to remove air, but still does not increase flow. I'm open to all suggestions. I hope to figure this one out before calling someone. I've spent way too much money already! But I need water pressure! Help!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 14, 2006, 04:50 PM
    This problem will have to be solved by tracking the loss of pressure. Open up the service line from the pump to the house. Good pressure there? Then move on in the house and check the pressure fixture by fixture starting with the fixture closest to where the water enters the house. Let me know. Tom

Dec 15, 2006, 02:50 PM
    Tom -

Last night I replaced the water filters because someone told me that the silt and sediment were probably all stirred up after replacing the pump. I'm thinking about increasing both the cut-in and cut-off pressure settings to get higher pressures.

Regarding your question, the low pressure seems to be at every fixture, but certainly at the one farthest away from the water tank. I will do a careful check of flow rates to determine whether the volume is constant through out the house, or whether it is worse the farther I get away from the water tank. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

petec
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 16, 2006, 03:30 PM
    What's the PSI at the pump as per against the house PSI? Regards, Tom

Dec 18, 2006, 10:27 AM
    Tom -

After I changed the filters, I checked the pressure - still relatively low. So I cranked up both the cut in and cut out pressure settings (small and tall screw settings). So now I'm running at about 40 -60 psi whereas before I was about 30-50 psi. Seems like everything is now okay. I'll give it a while to see how things settle out. (Although I notice that sometimes when more than one fixture is open, the pressure decreases, which did not happen before.? )

Thanks very much for all your help!

This is a great website.

Petec

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Increase Hot Water Pressure w/Water pump? [ 3 Answers ]

Would a Watts Premier Hot Water Recirculation Pump (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11026121&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=&s=1) (or any other brand name) help to increase hot water pressure if you install it directly to the hot water output pipe and then turn it on ONLY while taking a...

Low water pressure from hot water tank [ 8 Answers ]

I drained my water supply when fitting new bathroom suite I have turn the mains water back on but I am not getting any pressure from the hot water taps the cold is fine

Low Pressure and Low Flow Water Supply [ 4 Answers ]

I recently moved into a house that is about 6 years old. The house sits upon a small hill. The water pressure is 40 psi at the street and the flow rate is 13 gpm. At the house, the pressure is about 30 psi and the flow rate is 3.5 gpm. The house is higher than the street level, but the...

Low water pressure [ 8 Answers ]

We are on city water. When we are using only one source (sink, shower, etc.) our water pressure/flow is fine. As soon as another source is turned on the water pressure/flow drops considerably. I have seen this before, and of course it makes sense that when you are using more water there will be...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

View more questions Search