Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2010, 04:11 PM
    Notifying heirs about executor change
    1. All four heirs are listed in a certain order as executors. Should these heirs be notified if the order changes?

2. If the current executor can no longer serve as executor and must transfer the position to the next person listed in the will, should the heirs be notified of this change?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 3, 2010, 04:32 PM

Is the will in effect and enforceable at this time or is this for the future?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2010, 04:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Is the will in effect and enforceable at this time or is this for the future?
    #1 - will maker is still alive. One executor has been demoted from co-executor and first on the list to last on the list. The list was a&b,c,d. It now reads b,c,d,a. An attorney made the changes last week.

#2 - will maker is deceased. The current executor wishes to step down because of advanced age and lack of interest/ability. The will maker had named x as first, y as second, and z as third. X is deceased, so the task fell to y. y no long wishes to serve and wants to transfer the task to z, but wonders about notification of heirs.
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 3, 2010, 05:10 PM

As far as #1 goes its not needed to notify this change at this time. Since the will is not enforcable.

As far as #2 goes. Since the will is enforcable and there is an estate to administer then yes there needs to be notification to all interested parties. Those being the heirs and the executors.

Side note. A will is a document that has meaning only when enforced. Before such a time the will can be changed any way the will maker suits it to be. Its only after the will maker dies that there can be a legal challenge to it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2010, 05:47 PM
    As far as #2 goes. Since the will is enforcable and there is an estate to administer then yes there needs to be notification to all interested parties. Those being the heirs and the executors.
    Should the notification be notarized, copied, and then mailed to each interested party? Or should each letter to each interested party be notarized?
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 3, 2010, 05:53 PM

A noterized copy would be good enough along with an explination. Like I (fill in the blank ) hereby resign and relinquish to (fill in the blank) on this day (fill in the blank) blah blah blah (legal bs)

Both parties should sign if possible. The one reliquishing and the one accepting.

Sign date witness.

Edited after posting:

Also any mailings should be registered mail.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2010, 06:05 PM
    A noterized copy would be good enough along with an explination.
    There are five heirs. The current executor is an heir. The named-in-the-will successor is also an heir. Should each letter be notarized, or can one be notarized and the rest be copies of it?

Bob, an heir, doesn't want to be executor any longer.
    Jim is also an heir and is named as a successor executor in will. Bob writes letter to Jim to hand over the executorship to him.
    Pete, Phoebe, and Buffy are heirs but are not named as potential executors. Do each of them get a notarized copy of Bob's letter to Jim?

(Most are scattered throughout the U.S.)
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 3, 2010, 06:11 PM

Just send copies of a noterized one and keep the original in the file with the rest of the documents regarding the estate. Certified mail return reciet requested would do the trick so you know they had gotten it and you have something for your records too.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2010, 06:29 PM

Thanks, CD! You answered all my questions.
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 3, 2010, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Thanks, CD!! You answered all my questions.
    Your welcome. And thanks for not having any reddies involved ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

EU laws on Suicide notifying. [ 10 Answers ]

If I get a notice from someone that they'll kill themselves, am I in any danger on a legal stance? As in, me knowing and not reporting or trying to stop the act. Could this be taken to court and in what ground does the defendant stand?

Distribution by Executor of Estate Assets to Heirs [ 6 Answers ]

Reference: State of Virginia My spouse's Mother died over two years ago or November 2007. Only part (some cash and some household items) of the estate's assets have been distributed to me and the other heirs. Property, including land, houses and farm equipment that appraised for over $1.4 has...

Can a land owner, who has his land verbally given to heirs, change his will after h? [ 5 Answers ]

Can a land owner, who has given his land verbally to his children, change his will about the property if he has been in a mental for depression. He has not been legally declared legally incompetent as of yet.

Executor refuses to pay out money to heirs [ 2 Answers ]

My mother had a trust and the nine children were listed as heirs. The executor of the trust has not given any money to 4 heirs following the sale of the farm. The farm was sold in March of 08. I have the understanding that he has received monies from the farm sale. The siblings are split and it...

Notifying tenant of sale [ 6 Answers ]

I'm in the state of Florida and I can't find anything governing my situation. My rental of 2 years to the same tenant will go on the market next year. My tenant at first wanted a 3 year lease and 1st dibbs to buy. No price was discussed and I told him we would see how it went. I spoke to him...

View more questions Search