Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mberg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2006, 06:10 AM
    Welder hook up in garage
    I bought a used Miller Syncrowave 351 Welder for my garage. I contacted Miller Electrics online
    Tech service. They sent me this. The electrical service guide for a
    Syncrowave 351 shows that at
    50/60HZ single phase, input voltage at 230 without power factor
    Correction you
    Will need a 125 amp time delay or a 125 amp normal operating breaker.
    Minimum input conductor size in AWG is number 4.
    Maximum input conductor length in feet (117)

So my question is- Is the proper way to do
    This to- Put receptacle in garage-run #2 copper (or #4) cable back to a 125 amp breaker in my panel box? Anyone ever do something like this? I know you will probably say to upgrade my panel from 200 amp. I do know some one that has same machine hooked to a 100 amp breaker-he said he has never had a problem. Thanks, Matt
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2006, 07:54 AM
    I see it requires a 175 amp CB for the unit without power factor
    correction
    as shown on page 16 of the manual: http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o354g_mil.pdf

In any case, your friend probably does not do large, thick, or heavy welding, so the draw is not at what the maximum draw can be for this machine.

This will probably be the same situation for you, just as long as you understand that what ever line you do install will limit your welding capabilities.

Units such as this are usually connected directly, see page 21 of the manual. High amp outlets are available, pin and sleeve type, and are very expensive, in the range of $300-350 each.

If you only have a 100 amp service, then hopefully you do not do heavy welding, as you will be limited by that size main breaker.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Welder Purchase [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm looking for a welder. What is the difference between and arc welder and gas or gasless welder. How are they rated? Some are capable of welding either 1/8" or 1/4". Is this based on amperage? 220v is better than 110v? Thanks, Glenn

Salary of underwater welder [ 14 Answers ]

how much does this profession earn in a year? salary and hourly rate? :confused:

Underwater welder salary [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone tell me how much money underwater welders make in average. I know it's a wide range but I would like to know all the answers you come Up with. Or where I can find more information on the pay proceedures.

Power Converter for Welder [ 2 Answers ]

I do not have any 220 Outlets in my house. Got a welder with a 115v or 230v input. I'm set up for 110 outlets but would like to switch to the 230 input. Considering purchasing on of those transformers that plugs into a 110 and converts to 220. Got a 42 Amp draw on the welder and a max 5000W on...

Washer hook ups in detached garage [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to move my washer and electric dryer from their present location off the kitchen, to the back inside wall of my detached garage. It is approx. 35' from the back of the house, to the location in the garage. My house has no basement, but has a crawl space underneath. I 've checked...

View more questions Search