Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bayareaslapzz Posts: 49, Reputation: 5

Jul 2, 2010, 08:25 AM
    How do I change the PAG oil coolant on my A/C Converter?
    I drive a 1998 Lexus GS400 , and I recently did my major tune up. Timing Belt, Water Pump, spark plugs, etc. Now every time I turn on my air conditioning , a clicking noise appears every time I press down on the gas pedal. I was told that the AC Converter is out, but my mechanic told me to just put a little PAG refridgerant coolant oil to see if that helps. I bought the PAG oil for $10.00 instead of paying $600+ for a new converter. I always like to start with the little things that might prevent me from paying the big bucks in every way possible. There are 2 types of PAG oil. PAG +134, and PAG +150. The higher the number, the thicker the oil is. I chose the 150 because I believe the converter needs a lot of lubrication. Can anybody tell me how to change the PAG oil? Where do I pour it in and how much do I pour?. all thoughts are welcome. Thank You

-Mr. Bay
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2010, 09:52 AM

#1 unless you have a full compliment of A/C tools, vacuum pump, manifold guages... recovery machine... etc. AND know what to do... you aren't going to be doing it.

First off,

#1 there is no such thing as a A/C converter...

#2 if you misunderstood him and he said "COMPRESSOR" you still don't simply put in some PAG oil.

It's a sealed ssytem... it just doesn't leak out, period. The refidgerant gas would have escaped long before it got to that stage and pressure switches would have shut the system down.

Overfill the system and you destroy the compressor when it slugs. Oil CAN be put in while the system is pressurized but that takes a special tool. Open the system to the air and you MUST replace the Reciever/Dryer, and evacuate the system with a vacuum pump to remove air and moisture.

Personally it sounds like your mechanic is trying to rip you off.

I do hold a Section 609 MVAC license. While I may not be an A/C guru and all knowing in that field... I do know enough to do this work, have and can spot someone who is getting taken for a ride. If the compressor is making noise because its worn out... more oil or thicker oil won't fix it.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 3, 2010, 06:49 AM

I think you mean "compressor", not converter.
    If the A/C compressor is noisy, sometimes adding lubricating oil will quiet it some, but won't fix the problem: the compressor is worn.
    Also, any oil simply added to a functional A/C system cannot be just poured in. The system is pressurized and a special tool is needed to inject, under pressure, the oil.
    Unless you have the skills and tools to do this, you'd best leave this to someone who does.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Coolant and Oil mixed [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am no expert in cars, hence some it may not make any sense. I have a honda accord DX (4 cylinder Vtech) with 143K miles on it. As usual I got my oil changed at Walmart, but the difference being that this time I got the thicker oil as we used drive the car for 100 miles a day. (Also...

Engine oil mixed with coolant after oil seal ring failure what next? [ 0 Answers ]

OK MY 97 jetta was spewing oil from above the filter cranked the car and the oil light came on. Checked the oil level and discovered antifreeze mixed in the oil. Is it a blown head or possible that d/t oil cooler o-ring failure that it leaked into the engine? Should I flush out oil and change...

Leaking coolant and now oil! [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I've recantly had my 2001 Chevy Cavaliers head gasket replaced (in summer). Now it's leaking coolant, overheating after driving for 5 minutes, and just this mornong is leaking oil! I am so broke being that it's almost Christmas and having three kids I can't afford to get it looked at yet,...

View more questions Search