Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    little_emo_emily1437 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2006, 09:08 PM
    Rate-Time-Distance problem.. help!

I don't get his "Rate-Time-Distance" Problem given to me... it's confusing to me!:confused:
    :eek: HELP!:eek: Can you show me how to do it?? :D

Here's the problem... :)

At. 7:00 am Mr. Van starts jogging at 6 mi/h. At 7:10 am you start after him along the same path. How fast must you run to catch Mr. Van at 7:30 am?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2006, 03:56 AM
    How far does he go in the first 10 minutes? How fast do you have to go to go that distance in 20 minutes? How much faster than him do you have to go to be going the same speed as him but a little extra to go the distance he has already gone in 20 minutes. How fast must you go?

Hopefully this will help you think about the problem in a better way
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Dec 14, 2006, 07:37 AM
    Oooh. I almost wrote my own explanation of how to do the problem but then I realized that would probably be like giving the answer away. Bad asterisk!

I'm happy with the way you wrote it capuchin. A little info, but not explicitly spelling it out. This is definitely a homework problem and that's definitely the way to go!

Way to follow the rules capuchin!!
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2006, 07:45 AM
    Thanks asterisk

Lilemily please see this link, the question is basically the same as yours but with different numbers, I posted similar hints but possibly in a clearer manner. It may help

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/math-s...lem-47690.html
    Hannii Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 02:51 PM
    Mr. Van ---------------> (7:00) (6mi)
    you--------------------> (7:10) (x mi)

Rate X Time = Distance
    Mr. Van rate =6 time=1/2 D= 3
    you rate= x time= 1/3 D=1/3
    1/3x = 3
    x = 9

You ran 9mi/h

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rate - time - distance problem [ 4 Answers ]

A state police officer is chasing a car he believes is speeding. The officer is traveling at 70mph to try and catch up with the car. But he can't say later that the other car was going 70mph because the driver could ask, "If we were going the same speed, how did you catch up? Obviously I was going...

Dark brown lines going across my screen from time to time [ 10 Answers ]

I have a problem with my computer monitor, I have these brown horizontal lines that go across my screen sometimes (REALLY ANNOYING). I just replaced the video card so its not that, also if I hit the side of the monitor the lines go away:p Just wondering if there's anything I can do that can fix it!...

Computer won't start up first time, but will second time [ 8 Answers ]

So this is a completely different computer first off. When I press the power button, everything powers up, but the computer does not post, or beep. If you leave the computer on for like 10 seconds, turn it off, and then turn it immediately back on, it turns on, posts, beeps, boots into Windows...

Part time or full time resident? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student in PA and spent about 3 months in New York during the summer for an internship. Since my primary domicile was still in PA (since I had to return for the next year of classes), am I a resident of PA for the full year or a part year resident? Likewise when I file state tax...

Critical Distance is Pipe Length or Literal Distance? [ 2 Answers ]

Is critical distance measurement based on the literal distance from a trap to the vent stack, or the total length pipe from the trap to the vent? In other words, if the trap is 4 feet from the vent, but the drain pipe from the trap to the branch that has the vent connected to it is 10 feet, is the...

View more questions Search