Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrsdurbin1 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2010, 08:23 AM
    Need it to be dry under deck-need suggestions
    We have a 4 foot high deck attached to the house on the back wall of our basement and due to lack of sunlight and recent gutter overflows the ground has become very saturated and caused some moisture problems. We aren't interested in making it pretty under there but would ilke an economical and easy way to keep water from above the deck from getting to the ground under the deck... this is our first home, neither of us are "handy" and we don't want to spend the hundreds of dollars for a professional "under deck waterproofing" system as we don't need that. Any suggestions or creations anyone wants to share would be greatly appreciated!
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2010, 09:58 AM

I assume its already graded away from the house and smooth, if not do that first.

What I would do then... is lay down a heavy plastic sheet, as heavy as you can find... and to weigh that down use pea gravel, crushed limestone or whatever type of gravel looks good to you.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2010, 11:14 AM

Smoothy and everyone else:

There are multiple threads on this subject and some were merged. This may not even be a problem but rather a consequence of having totally clogged downspouts, but clear gutters.

For the underside of the deck:
    Grading, lawn fabric and stone.

Grading for the water
    Lawn fabric - for the weeds (Lawn fabric breathes)
    Rock - To make it look nice

Hard plastic puddles and therefore isn't a good idea. Lawn fabric changes the saturation time, but allows any standing water a place to go.

Keep the downspouts and gutters clean

IT'S DIFFICULT MAKING SPECIFIC SUGGESTIONS WITHOUT PICTURES!
    mrsdurbin1 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2010, 12:09 PM

"There are multiple threads on this subject and some were merged. This may not even be a problem but rather a consequence of having totally clogged downspouts, but clear gutters."

Yes I obviously know this is probably a result of clogged gutters as clearly stated in the post and we fixed that. This is a NEW thread because I NO LONGER have questions about the gutters, water leaking in the basement or the original issues, hence the new topic. I wanted general suggestions on methods for keeping an area dry and about grading.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2010, 12:18 PM

Fair enough.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag Dryer does not dry in Auto Dry mode [ 23 Answers ]

My Maytag dryer works well in the Timed Dry mode but in the Auto Dry mode it runs forever and does not dry well. In the Timed Dry mode it produces plenty of heat and works fine. What is happening in the Auto Dry mode that does not make the heat properly get to a level that allows the clothes to...

Soaps for a guy with dry skin, any suggestions ladies? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a 43 year old male who has dry skin bad, especially during winter season, and I am trying to find a good bath soap, or bodywash I could use on a regular basis. Scents are not an issue as long as they soften me up. I did see at the store a couple that I was wondering about. Caress Silk, Olay...

Changing belt on wizard 14 hp 42 in cut craftsman deck replacing linkage on deck [ 1 Answers ]

How do I replace linkage rods on mower deck on a wizard 14 hp 42 in. craftman deck.

Deck top. We have a covered deck, planning on expanding deck, a 2x4 crossed cover [ 1 Answers ]

help!! We are planning on expanding our original deck with an open 2x4 crossed cover... do you have pictures or construction help?? Thanks

Suggestions for dry cat food [ 2 Answers ]

My cat will only eat canned food. I heard that you should also feed dry food to balance out the diet. Is this true, if so can you recommend a good dry food I can try since he won't eat science diet brand cat food. He is 7years old and I just adopted him a few days ago.

View more questions Search