Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dora08 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2010, 10:11 AM
    How can unmarried father adopt child of single mother
    I am a single mother of a 3 yr old, who was dating this guy who's in the military.The guy has been there for my daughter since she was first born,and do everything for her now whenever she need or want.The guy has been trying to sign papers to adopt her, and I never let him but now I'm thinking about letting him. Due to the fact he has been there for her instead of her real father who I don't want in her life and hasn't been in her life due to my child being a rape baby.Don't get me wrong I love my child and I want what's best for her.
    Can someone help me?
    How do I go about letting him adopt her?
    What should I do?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 10:31 AM

Lets make this clear. Your wanting to give up the child?

Jun 26, 2010, 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Lets make this clear. Your wanting to give up the child?
    no just want him to b father
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 04:47 PM

Unless your married then you would be giving up the child for them to adopt.

Jun 28, 2010, 03:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Unless your married then you would be giving up the child for them to adopt.
    So he just can't sign the birth certif:confused:
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 28, 2010, 04:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dora08 View Post
    so he just can't sign the birth certif:confused:
    No. Unless he is the birth father then he can't sign it. It would be illegal.
    Even if the birth father he would have to go to court to have it put on.
    PellMell Posts: 33, Reputation: 3

Jun 28, 2010, 04:56 PM

Are you planning to marry this guy before you encourage him to adopt your child? You should consider doing so. Things can get very complicated legally otherwise.

Whose name is on the birth certificate as the father?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 29, 2010, 07:46 AM

While some states do not require a couple be married to allow a step parent adoption, most do. So before he even thinks of adopting you need to determine if its required and for how long.

Next, before an adoption will be allowed, the bio father needs to agree to it. Or, at least an attempt to get his agreement needs to be made.

Adoption is a legal process and you really need an attorney to prepare the paperwork for a court to sign off on. So I suggest you start shopping around for an attorney who can adivse you about what you need to do.

Jun 29, 2010, 04:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PellMell View Post
    Are you planning to marry this guy before you encourage him to adopt your child? You should consider doing so. Things can get very complicated legally otherwise. not as of now

Whose name is on the birth certificate as the father?
    there is no one name under the father's name

Jun 29, 2010, 04:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by scottgem View Post
    while some states do not require a couple be married to allow a step parent adoption, most do. So before he even thinks of adopting you need to determine if its required and for how long.

Next, before an adoption will be allowed, the bio father needs to agree to it. Or, at least an attempt to get his agreement needs to be made.

Adoption is a legal process and you really need an attorney to prepare the paperwork for a court to sign off on. So i suggest you start shopping around for an attorney who can adivse you about what you need to do.

Thanks for the help that's not so confussing I'll see what attorney I can come across to help me:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child of unmarried father taken from California [ 22 Answers ]

My 3 year old son, his mother and I moved to Napa approximately 6 months ago. We rented a home together, leased in both our names. We were actually living together as a family for the first time. Our son was born in New York and I am the father listed on the birth certificate. My son's mom moved...

Should I relocate with boyfriend--unmarried-single mother. [ 5 Answers ]

OK here is my delima my boyfriend of a year and half applied for a job in another state. We went to elementary school together but just became official just a little over a year ago. I have a 3 year old daughter and I want to make sure this is the right move for us. Right now I'm working two jobs...

Rights of unmarried father at birth of child [ 2 Answers ]

If parents are unmarried and baby is born, do we have to notify father at birth of child? Are we allowed to keep the birth father from signing a birth certificate if parents are unmarried?

Unmarried father with no job/and wants child visitation [ 3 Answers ]

Sons mother and I could not live together because she has lots of issues and differences but because I am not working and don't give her child support she doesn't not only not let me see my son but my family either. What could I possibly do or is there a law for rights to visitations of your child...

View more questions Search