Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    milvias2008 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2010, 07:44 AM
    If a petitioner looses in small claims court can you sue again
    I was the petitioner in a small claims case. I lost. The defendant is the only one that can appeal the judges decision. I need to know if I can sue the person for the same thing or does it have to be something totally different.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 07:57 AM

No, you can't sue again for the same thing.

Are you sure you can't appeal?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2010, 08:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by milvias2008 View Post
    The defendant is the only one that can appeal the judges desicion.
    Hello m:

Sorry. That isn't how the law works. AK Lawyer is right.

excon
    milvias2008 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2010, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    No, you can't sue again for the same thing.

Are you sure you can't appeal?
    Well, the respondent did and I didn't get proper notice and the judge said that she didn't owe me the money. I tried to have the case heard againg because I wasn't served properly. (did a change of address and didn't get the appeal date) but the judge denied my request to have my case heard again. So can I, the petitioner appeal it?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2010, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by milvias2008 View Post
    I was the petitioner in a small claims case. I lost. The defendant is the only one that can appeal the judges desicion.
    Hello again, m:

Being denied an appeal because it wasn't filed within the deadline is NOT the situation you described above.

If the judge denied your appeal, you can appeal THAT decision, but you only have a limited amount of time to do so.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 27, 2010, 08:50 AM

What was the grounds for the judge not allowing you a new hearing for improper serivce ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If the petitioner looses in small claims court can you sue for the same thing again [ 1 Answers ]

After a petitioner looses in small claims court, can you sue for the same thing again.

How to sue bank america in small claims court [ 1 Answers ]

THIS IS UNBELIVABLE... NEED DIRECTION: Aug 2009 Bank America takes $8750.00 from my company (XYZ) that I am one of 11 shareholders, I am an officer and one of two signers I find out only after hours, and I mean escalated to highest levels, hung up on, LOST IN VOICE MAIL HELL Here's what...

Can you sue for pain and suffering in small claims court, California, for a tooth [ 8 Answers ]

Can I sue for the dental bill PLUS pain and suffering. My tooth was broken out when I was eating olives by a large piece of metal that was in the can. I had to get a crown. Can I sue for the cost of the crown plus an additional amount for pain and suffering? I'm in California.

Can I sue for defamation in CA small claims court? [ 6 Answers ]

2 months ago I was fired for talking about hockey during the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs (I workd as a temp for 6 mos). The conversations didn't prevent me from doing work (it was slow & I finished all the work given to me), my ex-supe just got fed up and demanded that I never talk about hockey again...

View more questions Search