Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    m_godfrey1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2006, 12:14 AM
    Purchase Billing Law
    This is a bit of an odd scenario. I just received an invoice from a company I made a small purchase from 2 years ago stating that I owe the amount of my purchase. I called them, unable to figure out why I was being billed, but they claim they tried to charge my card which had since expired. It expired approximately 6 months after I made the purchase. So, as you can see, they didn't try to bill me for a very long time.

My question: Is anyone aware of any law/statute/anything about how long a firm can take to charge you for purchases?

Btw this is in California.

Thanks!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2006, 06:40 AM
    Hello m:

Nahhh. Lawmakers don't make law dealing with every tiny little thing that can happen to people.

If you bought something, and didn't pay for it because the vendor forgot to bill you, then you still owe him the money. In fact, you're ALWAYS going to owe him the money. Debts don't expire.

However, if you already paid, that's a different scenerio. You didn't say, by the way. But, I have a hunch you didn't pay. If I borrowed $20 from you, when does that debt expire? If I bought something from you, how long can I wait to pay, before I don't have to? 6 months? A year?

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 13, 2006, 07:04 AM
    I would either dig up your old statements or go back to the CC company to see if the charge was ever processed. If not, I would go back to the company you purchased from and ask why they waited so long to process the transaction.

Bottomline though, you ordered the item, you received the item and if they didn't charge you, then you owe for the item.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overdue billing [ 3 Answers ]

I ordered dishes with a no payment for five months option. I received the bill about Jan. 20, the day before it was due. I phoned and said it would be late, since I just got the bill. It took 3 weeks to get to me. They said there would be a charge ($35) for being overdue. Should I be held...

View more questions Search