Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rcarlen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2006, 12:38 PM
    Paternal Rights
    My husband got a girl pregnant 8 years ago and has never been allowed to spend time with her. The mother of this child is hateful and frankly evil. She will quit her job right before we go to court so that our support gets raised. We cannot afford this anymore. My husband is willing to relinquish his rights and she has asked him too before. How do I go about doing this and how hard is it for him to relinquish his rights?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 12, 2006, 12:42 PM
    If you browse this forum you will see this question has been asked and answered many times. Your husband can relinquish his parental rights which means he will have no say in the care and rearing of his child. He cannot, however, forego his financial responsibility to the child. He is still liable for any court ordered support.

Have you consulted an attorney about this? It sounds like you are being taken advantage of. If the court ordered visitation then you should be able to enforce it.
    TUCK Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Dec 12, 2006, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlen
    My husband got a girl pregnant 8 years ago and has never been allowed to spend time with her. The mother of this child is hateful and frankly evil. She will quit her job right before we go to court so that our support gets raised. We cannot afford this anymore. My husband is willing to relinquish his rights and she has asked him too before. How do i go about doing this and how hard is it for him to relinquish his rights?
    The law is different from state to state. I would definitely get a lawyer involved. You may still have to pay child support, that would be up to a judge, but I feel like any judge will order continued support. Your best option is to contact a lawyer with your questions. Personally, I would gather as much information about the mothers habits, get her work history, have the court order her financial records and start bulding a suit that would document her actions. Eventually it will catch up with her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Paternal Rights [ 4 Answers ]

I fathered a child with someone. (Yes, I know it was foolish.) My problem is that the mother has turned this in to a power struggle. We have agreed that in this situation an adoption is the best thing for the child. The mother does not want me involved in any way. She wants me to sign over my...

Waiving paternal rights [ 3 Answers ]

My Ex girlfriend from 5 years ago who has been married and has 2 kids is fighting with her husband because he believes the oldest son (5 years old) is not his. There is talk around town that she thinks the oldest is mine. Doing the calculations of our relationship I do not believe he could be mine...

Advice on paternal rights... [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a U.S. Marine stationed in N.C. My wife and I have been separated and my lawyer has now filed the divorce paperwork with the courts. I recently found out that our 14 month old is not mine. No question about it, he is not mine. Our divorce was uncontested until now (I think). She wants me...

View more questions Search