Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stubits Posts: 390, Reputation: 2

Jun 19, 2010, 08:35 AM
    Opaque Stain for Pergola
    I am getting ready to build a pergola and am planning to stain it white using an opaque stain. I will be able to stain the components before building the structure for added protection.

Do I need to use pressure treated lumber if I am planning on staining it? What's the best type of wood to use in the application?

And while we're at it, can anyone suggest a preferred opaque stain product?

Any other thoughts, suggestions or tips?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 19, 2010, 03:16 PM

I would go PT or maybe cedar because even n opaque stain isn't 100% water proof for ever. I like this company but many of us have our favorites. Wolman Deck and Fence Stain
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2010, 06:06 AM
    I am right now trying a new(er) latex stain from Sherwin Williams,Deckscapes.

It says to test new wood for absorbency by putting a drop of water on different areas and see if it beads or gets readily absorbed.

New wood will most likely bead and require 1-2 weeks to weather out before using this product,being that it is water based.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding pergola to existing deck [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 12' x 16' deck. Construction is 2x10 ledger attached to house and two 2x10 beams sandwiched around three 6x6 posts (posts are set in concrete piers 4' deep). The beams are set in (cantilevered) about 15" from the outside edge of the deck. The joists are 16" on center and are 2x8's. ...

Pergola Project [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I'm sure this must be tiring for some in answering these sort of questions, but I've searched and googled and bribed friends for information, but the answers I'm getting do not solve my puzzle. So, here goes. I have a brand new house with a big yard. I live in Delaware Ohio where...

Pergola on Elevated Deck [ 3 Answers ]

I am getting ready to build an elevated deck off the back of my house and would like to build a pergola into the design. I am attaching the plans for the deck and the pergola here. I think I've got a pretty good feel for where this is going, but I haven't been able to figure out how to mount the...

Ceiling Fan Installation for Pergola [ 1 Answers ]

When the weather begins to warm up a bit I would like to build a deck with an integrated pergola. This will be part of a larger project and the plans have been produced by an architect. We would like to install a ceiling fan into the pergola, but that it turning out to be more complicated than I...

Pergola installed on concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I want to install a pergola on my concrete patio, if this can be done, how can I secure the posts to the existing concrete?

View more questions Search