Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Odessa Gatewood Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2006, 04:04 AM
    Contract law
    As a new sales representative for Misco Equipment Corporation, you take a customer out to dinner. Before dinner is over, you have shaken hands on a deal to sell the customer nearly a -half-million dollars worth of industrial equipment. In writing up the formal contract the next morning, you discover that you misfigured the equipments price. Your error could cost Misco $60,000. You telephone your customer and explain the situation.

Is the “deal” you made an enforceable contract?

Does the mistake you made permit you to get out of an enforceable contract?

What do you think will happen in this situation?

If you were the attorney for Misco, what if any are your best arguments? What would be the best solution in our legal opinion?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2006, 05:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Odessa Gatewood
    Is the “deal” you made an enforceable contract?

What do you think will happen in this situation?
    Hello Odessa:

The verbal "deal" is NOT enforcable. That ends the legal discussion.

However, if you want to save the customer, call him up and tell him the truth. You're certainly not going to save the deal by lying to them.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 12, 2006, 06:59 AM
    Such deals are usually not fully binding since you did not have the full information available. Its usually understood that such a deal is pending confirmation of the terms in writing.

So what do you do, you go to your supervisor, explain the error and decide how to deal with the customer. It may be that you can find some savings somewhere else to mitigate the loss.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 12, 2006, 07:30 AM
    Guys, this is a homework question. A good indicator of a homework question is that they usually give the name of a fictional company.

To the original poster: If you are in the US then I suggest that you first check and see if the Statute of Frauds or UCC applies to your question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contract [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my spouse are separated and he has the vehicle but it is in my name we are still making payments. Is it a way to have the contract put in his name?

Contract discharged? Travel law? [ 1 Answers ]

I am doing an assignment and need to know the following: If a person took a travel packaged tour and the itinerary stated one list of places visited, stayed at, and the actual tour operators took the people to different places what remedy does the traveler have for breack of contract?

View more questions Search