Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Greenglee_19 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2010, 08:28 PM
    My guinea pig died
    Last month I got 2 guinea pigs (one was almost a year old and the other one was a couple months old (father+son)) from my mom as a gift from graduation. They both lived together, one cage for the day, one for the night. They ate the same (washed grass, apples, lettuce, carrrots, and fiber. They also had plenty of water and a igloo-like shelter. One day my mom installed the old hamster wheel we had on one of their cages but I COMPLAINED BECAUSE IT WAS VERY SMALL but my mom insisted. The next day, the older hamster had very small energy. He walked little and didn't react to the fact that he was placed up side down or when I opened the cage door. I poured water on his head and his reaction time sped up. The next day he was worst, so I placed him under his "igloo" to see if it was the light or sound or something. Later on I went to check him and saw him under the hamster wheel. For a moment I thought he was stuck because he had one eye open. I pulled him out slowly and he was frozen stiff, DEAD DEAD DEAD. He had no breathing and one of his eyes and lips was closed with a type of glue-like substance. His nosetrils were colled with blood and has a white slime coming out of his butt. The other guinea pig was shaking on one corner (I managed to calm him down). Can one of you figure out what happen?
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2010, 08:45 PM

I don't know what happened, but I am so sorry for your loss. I have lost one 'Bruno' and it broke my heart.:( So sorry.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2010, 01:25 PM

I do not know what happened BUT empty the cage of EVRYTHING the other one came into contact with and bleach it for a few hours, then rinse it REALLY well and then let it dry for a few more hours. Your piggie may have been sick so cleaning everything may prevent the younger one from getting sick.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Guinea Pig [ 5 Answers ]

My guinea pig is always pooing( seriously) if I want to hold him I have to have a paper towel on my lap. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Guinea Pig [ 3 Answers ]

Yeh I had 2 male guinea pigs and 1 died they were just over 1 and I'm not sure what to do because I no the other 1 s v.lonely someone said I should have it put down I'm not sure if I buy a new one would they fight?

Guinea pig death [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I'm kind of new to this but my little girl had 2 guinea pigs, both female. I went to feed them earlier and discovered one of them had died. Is there anything I need to do for the other guinea as I know she'll be lonely without her pal?

Guinea pig illness [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about guinea pig sickness. Mine is acting really sick. He won't eat, or do anything!! Help me!!

Guinea Pig mites? [ 1 Answers ]

I don't know if this is the right area to post a question like this. I have 4 guinea pigs and the oldest one has mites. So I looked on the internet and ivermectin at my local country store is only 8 dollars and it comes in a paste form in a tube. If I went to the vet that takes care of exotic pets...

View more questions Search