Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jhiltonw2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2006, 02:15 PM
    My old dog will not eat
    Hi My old dog has gone off his food Any one had similar situations and what works . Thanks . Jim W
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2006, 02:38 PM
    My 12 year old Lab did that about a year ago. Took her to the vet and he found she had pneumonia, gave me some antibiotics, and in a week, she was her old self. I am not going to say your dog has pneumonia or anything else curable. Take it to the vet and see. And please post back and let us know.
    heathervettechCa Posts: 43, Reputation: 6

Dec 12, 2006, 05:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jhiltonw2
    Hi My old dog has gone off his food Any one had similar situations and what works . thanks . jim W
    How old is your dog? HOw long has it been since he/she has had an exam? If a dog is not eating and it is not normal behavior for them to fast themselves (you commonly see this is small toy breeds) there may be other issues. Have your vet take a look, examine lymph nodes, take x-rays and runa a senior blood pannel. This will hopefully give you some answers.
    good luck.
    jannnice Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2006, 06:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jhiltonw2
    Hi My old dog has gone off his food Any one had similar situations and what works . thanks . jim W
    My dog too has stopped eating I'm know she is dying but its terrible to see her starve herself did you receive any help with your question?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2006, 07:03 AM
    These cases are very individual. My old Lab, Aster, was fine one day, and lethargic and refused to eat the next. I called the vet that morning, and the medicine had her in good shape in a few days. Her mother, Maggie, is only a couple of years older. She quit eating about a month ago, and our friends will be putting her to sleep soon if not already. It is very important to work with your vet to sort out the cases such as Aster's pneumonia that was easily cured, and her old mother, whose body is giving up.

Maggie leaves a wonderful legacy behind. I think she had 40 puppies in 6 litters, nearly all of which either graduated as dog guides or were in turn selected as dog guides.

Here is a picture from Aster's 11th birthday. She is the yellow in the back with Maggie to the right. On the right is Princess, from Maggie's fourth litter, now also retired as breeding stock. The smallest black lab was from one of her litters.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

My dog won't eat! [ 6 Answers ]

So, My dog won't eat! I've tried every brand of hard and soft. He will eat one type but the next day, he turn his face. I tried making him some rice and chicken. He ate that but then wouldn't touch it. He has lost a bit of weight. Does anybody know what I should do? :confused: ...

Dog won't eat [ 5 Answers ]

I read the post from MYGEL about her/his dog that wouldn't eat. I have a similar problem with my dog. With in the past 3 weeks she has refused to eat her dog food. She does drink her water though. I took her to the vet last week and they wanted to run some tests and keep her for a few days....

Help! My dog won't eat [ 1 Answers ]

Hello animal experts, I am in a desperate crisis. I have a 11 month old German Sheperd and he is in great health and extremely playful. When we first got him, he ate like a monster. We fed him dry Nutro Large Puppy Breed food. Suddenly, he stopped eating his food, then I got him the Nutro...

Why won't my dog eat anything? [ 3 Answers ]

I have just adopted a 4 year old japanese chin, and she was spayed the morning I picked her up. For the first few days she didn't each much, which I expected. Then by the second week she was running around and eating well. Now, into the third week, she won't eat ANY, AND I MEAN ANY, food, I...

View more questions Search