Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Randy49 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2010, 07:06 AM
    Downstairs toilet bubbles and water levels goes down after flushing
    Yesterday when running my washing machine my downstairs toilet started to gurgle and lose water in the bowl. Now today just flushing it makes the gurgling and water level go down. The toilet flushes fine and the water leavel is normal for a couple of minutes but then you hear the gurgles and can see the water level going down. We had our septic tank cleaned out last year because of a similar problem with the toilet. The toilet would overflow when any water source was used. So what do you think a new problem or is my septic full again. Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 8, 2010, 07:16 AM

Sounds like a clogged vent stack. Unfortunately you say gurgles in one place and bubbles in another. Gurgle usuualy means vent but bubbles not. To fix the vent you rod from the roof with a swer rodder long enough to reach roof top to basement plus 20'

Jun 8, 2010, 07:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Sounds like a clogged vent stack. Unfortunately you say gurgles in one place and bubbles in another. Gurgle usuualy means vent but bubbles not. To fix the vent you rod from the roof with a swer rodder long enough to reach roof top to basement plus 20'
    I am not sure if it is really bubbles or air being pushed back. I see water being bubbled (pushed up) when I hear the gurgling noises. I have a two story house will 50 feet of drain auger be enough?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 8, 2010, 07:30 AM

50' should be about right but we are talking about a sewer rodder which is larger than what most folks use to snake drains

Jun 8, 2010, 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    50' should be about right but we are talking about a sewer rodder which is larger thatn what most folks use to snake drains
    Had a guy come out and he opened my septic tank and there it was a clog in my drain entering the septic tank. He said it was soap scum. White chunky stuff. Snaked it and all fixed now. Thanks for the help..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When I run my bathroom sink water, my water bubbles in my toilet. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a old single floor house. I replaced my piping from my bath sink, tub/shower and toilet. I have a old septic tank. (concrete square 2000 gal.) I am having field line problems and the tank is full. This didn't happen at first but now my toilet bubbles. Can this be caused by venting? Or is it...

What causes air bubbles to come out of the siphon jet of a toilet during flushing. [ 1 Answers ]

My problem toilet sends air bubbles out of the siphon jet opening when it is flushed. I get bubbles first and then water. The bubbles disrupt the flushing action and slow it way down. The slowness of the flush seems to encourage clogs. To get a halfway decent flush I have to hold the lever down...

Tiny bubbles similar to seltzer water in standing toilet water [ 1 Answers ]

Hi-awhile back, someone asked a question that sounds pretty similar to the problem I'm having with my toilet, but I didn't see a response from them as to whether they were able to resolve the issue. In one of my toilets, after a few hours, really tiny bubbles develop in the standing water. The...

Frequent problems with toilet flushing. BUBBLES TOO! [ 3 Answers ]

I just moved into a home and have noticed a problem with the one and only toilet in the home (single story, crawlspace foundation). The toilet tends to need help flushing. There are occasions where it works fine, but more often than not, the water (and the contents you just left in the bowl) just...

Downstairs toilet bubbles when washing machine drains [ 3 Answers ]

Our house is about 30 years old and is connected to city sewer. The downstairs bathroom was unfinished so I got a plumbing permit from the city and installed plumbing for the tub, toilet, and sink and then finished the bathroom. The inspector approved my plumbing about a week ago. I noticed...

View more questions Search