Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IDOC21 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2010, 06:14 AM
    Venting a sewage basin and ejector pump
    I have a finished basement with an unfinished basement bath. It is plumbed under the slab to a standard sewage basin. The problem lies in venting the basin if I wish to finish the bathroom and install a sewage pump. I do not have access to any pre-existing vent stacks, but do have easy access to the main drain line.

I realize I can't use an AAV due to the closed system, but is it possible to vent to the top of the main drain line? The line is never "full" unless there's a downstream backup (yet to happen). Wouldn't this essentially be the same as venting to the vent stack?

First question, would this work... Second, would it be against code...

Thanks in advance
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 8, 2010, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    I realize I can't use an AAV due to the closed system, but is it possible to vent to the top of the main drain line?
    What you have under the slab should look something like this, (see image).
    You may use a AAV on the lavatory, ( check with your Building Department) but the pit vent MUST be a dedicated vent that may be revented back into a existing roof vent in the attic but not before. Good luck. Tom
    Attached Images

IDOC21 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2010, 02:05 PM

Thanks speedball...

I figured this was the case. Could I bring the vent line straight up into a joist space, turn 90 and vent out of the side of the home? There are no windows or doors on that side.

If no, then I'll begin pulling drywall next week...

p.s. the toilet dumps directly into the pit and is only ~36" away. I'm assuming I will not need to vent that. I plan on using a AAV under the vanity for the sink. Does all this sound kosher?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage Ejector Pump With no Venting? [ 14 Answers ]

I just purchased a home that utilizes a sewer ejection pump for all of the plumbing in the house. Where the vent pipe comes up out of the seal on the floor it comes up about 2 feet above the floor and then it is capped? There is absolutely nowhere above that capped vent pipe where it could have...

Is Meyers pentair sewage ejector pump model SR1830 a quality pump? [ 1 Answers ]

Just installed a sewage ejector pump and I'm somewhat concerned about the manufacture. Not seeing very much information about Meyer. I see Zoeller and Little Giant, so I'm wondering if I got a quality systems. Considering all that was required to get the system in I don't want to revisit this for...

"lardy wax" buildup in sewage ejector basin [ 2 Answers ]

I have liven in my house for 9 years and replaced the ejector pump two times, the second time with a Zoeller. My issue seems to be that there is a waxy-lard build up in the basin that is not allowing the pump to work. My husband and I cleaned it out a 2 years ago and now we are having the same...

Another sewage ejector venting issue [ 3 Answers ]

I'm installing a qwik-jon sewage ejector in the basement. The 2" discharge liine will tie into existing 4" drain after about a 2 foot lift. My problem... The only existing vent line I can access is the 1 1/2" vent from the washing machine drain. Is it possible to tie in the 3" vent line from...

Sewage Ejector--Venting problmes [ 1 Answers ]

My friend just brought a house with a sewage ejector which only serves the bathroom in the basement. We always smell some kind of damp smell in the basement,particularly the area closed to the bathroom. Does it possibby cause by the venting problem of the sewage ejector? We check all the pipes...

View more questions Search