Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    valentina98 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2010, 09:21 AM
    How do I marry my already married Muslim fiancé ?
    We are in my homeland of Malta in Europe, he is an Iraqi refugee. We are both in our late forties and living together. He had started divorce proceedings from his wife - they were already living apart - before leaving Iraq ten years ago but has found out nothing was finalised as naturally she wanted financial compensation (which he is not in a position to offer). If he is still legally married to her in his country, is there any way I can legally marry him in Europe ? He is a non observant Muslim, I am Christian, not that I think this effects the issue any.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 09:31 AM

Unless the country you are living in allows him to have more than one wife. ( don't think yours does) but if it does, you just marry him and he will have two wives.

If not, he will need to get his divorce completed
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 12:34 PM

1. Polygamy is not allowed in Malta.
    2. If you want, you may go to live in a certain Muslim country but if you want to marry him, you will have to have permission from his first wife, because under the Sharia you will have to be her servant.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2010, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GV70 View Post
    but if you want to marry him, you will have to have permission from his first wife, because under the Sharia you will have to be her servant.
    Where did you get this information about the second wife being a servant of the first wife?

The second wife also deserves what is rightfully hers as his wife, which includes financial and emotional support the same as his first wife. One wife does not become a servant of the other just because he is married to two wives.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a Wiccan man marry a Muslim woman [ 9 Answers ]

I am a former christian and 8 years ago converted to the religion of Wicca. For the past few months I've been dating this muslim woman and I feel as though it may be getting serious. If our relationship does persist and grow into love and I decide to marry her, would that be OK coming from her...

Can a Bangalore muslim girl marry a kerala muslim guy? [ 4 Answers ]

Assalamualaikum... I am a muslim girl from bangalore and am in love with a kerala muslim guy,we both like each other and want to get married.my parents have no objections,his side all are agreeing including his mother and relatives except his father.his mother and rest all can't take a decision...

Can a black non-muslim man marry a muslim woman? [ 18 Answers ]

For the past few months I've been dating a muslim girl. I think I'm starting to fall in love with her and would love nothing more than to marry this girl. However, I am African American and she is from Jordan. She has told me that her family would most likely not approve, as they want her to...

Can a catholic marry a muslim? [ 10 Answers ]

Is it possible for a catholic girl o marry a muslim boy?

My muslim fianc? Thinks I'm a virgin. [ 106 Answers ]

I'm getting marry in a month I'm Muslim and my fiancé is Muslim too. Our marriage has been arrange by parents. The problem is that I'm not a virgin and I'm scared on my wedding night is future husband is going to realized that I'm not a virgin!! What should I do?? I don't know what to do because he...

View more questions Search