Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hgogri Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2006, 10:04 AM
    Rate - time - distance problem
    A state police officer is chasing a car he believes is speeding. The officer is traveling at 70mph to try and catch up with the car. But he can't say later that the other car was going 70mph because the driver could ask, "If we were going the same speed, how did you catch up? Obviously I was going slower than you. I wasn't speeding." The officer sees the driver pass a mile marker, one-fourth of a mile ahead. From the marker, it takes the officer five minutes (1/12 of an hour) to catch up. How fast was the driver going

How do I solve this difficult problem??
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2006, 03:11 PM
    Okay, first ignore the fact that the officer is going at 70mph.

Pretend that the officer is going some fixed speed, and the car he is chasing isn't moving at all. Could you now work out the speed the officer is going?

How does this answer relate to the original problem? What is the answer to your original problem? :)

Let me know if this helped -- :)
    BengalsBucks710 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2010, 01:54 PM
    Pull out the radar gun man
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2010, 03:23 PM

Subtract the rates of the speeder and the cop.

This difference takes 5 minutes to cover 1/4 mile.

Since the cop is going 70, then the difference in the rates is r-70.

Since d=rt, we have

solve for r.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2010, 08:19 AM

THREAD CLOSED BECAUSE IT WAS REVIVED. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rate of Return [ 2 Answers ]

:) A 2 year maturity bond with face value of $1,000 that makes annual coupon payments of $80 and is selling at face value. What will be the rate of return on the bond if its yield to marurity at the end of the year is a. 6% b. 8% c. 10% :)

Dark brown lines going across my screen from time to time [ 10 Answers ]

I have a problem with my computer monitor, I have these brown horizontal lines that go across my screen sometimes (REALLY ANNOYING). I just replaced the video card so its not that, also if I hit the side of the monitor the lines go away:p Just wondering if there's anything I can do that can fix it!...

Computer won't start up first time, but will second time [ 8 Answers ]

So this is a completely different computer first off. When I press the power button, everything powers up, but the computer does not post, or beep. If you leave the computer on for like 10 seconds, turn it off, and then turn it immediately back on, it turns on, posts, beeps, boots into Windows...

Part time or full time resident? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student in PA and spent about 3 months in New York during the summer for an internship. Since my primary domicile was still in PA (since I had to return for the next year of classes), am I a resident of PA for the full year or a part year resident? Likewise when I file state tax...

Critical Distance is Pipe Length or Literal Distance? [ 2 Answers ]

Is critical distance measurement based on the literal distance from a trap to the vent stack, or the total length pipe from the trap to the vent? In other words, if the trap is 4 feet from the vent, but the drain pipe from the trap to the branch that has the vent connected to it is 10 feet, is the...

View more questions Search