Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thay1908 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2010, 11:15 PM
    How do you install kitchen cabinets
    How do you install kitchen cabinets? What are the step by step procedures?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2010, 11:32 PM
    You have to understand that this isn't just a simple procedure, trying to explain this would prove very difficult,and most likely end up with you being very frustrated (as well as us)

Perhaps a video on Google would help, Have you tried to Google this yet?

Or, where you bought them,do they have any books on installation?

There are so many variables when doing an install.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2010, 11:40 PM
    Hi, thay1908!

KBC really knows what he's writing about in that regard! I've seen his shop and what he's able to do!

Plus, there can be differences between the upper and lower cabinets as well as how to mount anything on a wall, given that there are a variety of different types of potential wall surfaces.

Are you going to install kitchen cabinets yourself? Or, are you just making a general inquiry as to how it might be done, please?

Thanks!
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Jun 4, 2010, 10:36 AM

Agree with the two other responses. I'm quite handy and have a ton of tools, but I don't do drywall, and I don't install kitchen cabinets. I could, and it would OK, but my wife would not let me get away with an 'OK' job on her ornate kitchens.

I can give a bit more info, though.

Here are some general rules
    a) its way easier with two people.
    b) get a pencil, a stud finder, and a long & accurate level. Don't be afraid to draw all over the wall because paint is cheap. A drill/driver is good, and a impact drill is even better. You'll really need two - one to pre-drill the holes, and the second to drive the screws.
    c) start from an accurate drawing of the cabinets and how they fit in your kitchen. Make sure you completely understand the kitchen before you start. Premake all cabinets if that has not been done already.
    d) put the uppers on first.
    e) despite putting the uppers on first, you'll have to know exactly the finished height of the lower units, so that you can get the uppers at the right height for code over the stove. Use your pencil to mark the walls with exact locations to make sure it all fits!
    f) Also consider the levelness of the floor when calculating the lower unit height. You need to have the countertop absolutely level, so you'll have to account for this when you draw your line on the wall. Have a look under the lower cabinet to determine how you can get them level.
    g) you'll have to figure out the best place to start. Typically you start at a corner and work outwards. It can get very complicated if you have wall to wall cabinets, cabinets that go to the ceiling, the fridge or windows that you're working around, or if you have a vents or electrical wires that take away flexibility of cabinet location.
    h) measure to ensure that upper cabinets and lower will line up as per your drawing. You don't want you range hood sitting to the right of where the oven is.
    I) before screwing the uppers in, you'll have to know where the studs are. Ensure your screws go into the studs. I would measure the screw holes in the cabinets to ensure you get a nice pattern of screws to look at when you open the cabinet doors.
    j) lowers next. Same general rules as above - ensure you leave the correct space for dishwasher, fridge and stove as you go.
    k) then measure and order your countertop.

I think this is about as specific as we can get without more info.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2010, 08:23 PM

Thay1908

What I have been doing on the kitchen rehaps is basically remove all the old drywall for many reasons.

1. So we can see all the mechanicals and add or relocate outlets.

2.Many times we need to add a Vent for the sink or exterior duct stove hood for codes.

3. We can scab onto studs to get a truer plumb square wall and corners.

4. For many years now I use Ply on the whole wall before drywall. Why because customers make last minute changes and we don't have a nailer for that change. With the ply the wall becomes a nailer..

If you KNOW the cab, schedule when exposing that wall 2bys can be scabbed between studs for cab nailer's/screws.

Another tip. Remove the cab. Hinges and screw the cabinets together and screws become hidden under hinge. Use a bar of soap or toilet wax ring when screwing cabs to each other. Invest in quick clamps to screw cabs together.

The base cabs usually need shimmed. The choices are Belt sand the bottom cab on one side of the kitchen or shim on the other side if the floor has a radical pitch

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I finish Kitchen cabinets? [ 5 Answers ]

I stripped my old cabinets of polyurethane and now we like the natural wood. Is there any product out there that will protect but won't yellow the lighter color of the raw wood?

Kitchen Cabinets [ 7 Answers ]

Anything inside our home which relates to color or design or fashion is 99% left up to my wife. I don't object because I usually don't care and don't keep up with styles or color schemes, etc. etc. We're in the process of remodeling our kitchen by enlarging it by 110 sq ft. The allows room for...

Kitchen cabinets [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone had experinece with THERMOFOIL kitchen cabinets? I saw some I like but I heard they could turn yellow over time if exposed to heat.

Refinishing kitchen cabinets [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a home improvement beginner with a capital B- so this question might be silly - but I have to start somewhere. I have dark brown stained wood kitchen cabinets. I would like to lighten the stain to be lighter brown- or maybe even paint them a lighter color. Is it possible to stain a lighter...

Refinishing kitchen cabinets [ 3 Answers ]

Yes I want to paint my kitcen cabinets a light color (they are a verydark brown now)they have probably 4 coats of paint on them now I tried to strip them and was unsuccessful if I prime them and repaint them they will look terrible what should I do? I was considering maybe sanding but would really...

View more questions Search