Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grearmann333 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2010, 09:07 PM
    Four way switch problem
    I had a three-way switch that broke. I went out to buy a new one, and not checking in the box, bought a two-way switch by mistake. Didn't have time to get a new one right away, so I installed it so that I could get my lights to work. A couple days later I put in the right kind, but now I have a problem... the lights only come on when all three switches are on. Thinking that it might be a bad switch, I got a new one. Same problem. Perhaps it is one of the others. So, I replaced the four-way switch. Same problem: all swithces must be on for the lights to work. Maybe the problem was the three-way at the other end of the hallway. Since the original switch appeared not to be the problem, I put that in. Same problem. So, from all that I can tell, I have three working switches, but they still all need to be on for my lights to work. Anyone have a suggestion?
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2010, 12:08 AM

GREA MANN33- Your box the switch came in should have a drawing of the wireing for correct wire connection;; OK I wish I knew where the power was comeing in to the switch system , Does it come in at one of the switches or does it come in from the ceioling light .{ NOTE- IM TALKING ABOUT THE MAIN POWER SOURCE} I will give you both .;;#1-POWER SOURCE FROM THE CEILING LIGHT- the source [power] will be two wires ,one black and one white and bare copper ground wire.Now inside the celing light box- you should have a 14/3 w/g wire going to the first light switch; connected to the ceiling light the white wire is connecterd to the white wire of the light ;from the light,the bl;ack you should have a white wire going down to the light switch a and the black wire should be connected to the black wire in side light box from the incoming black wire, from the [power source] ,the black wire comes down to the switch;;NOTE {THE white wire that is connected to the black wire on the light should be colored black for a couple inches to indicate it has become a hot wire] now down at the switch ; in side the switch box the white wire that is marked up at the light with black color should be connected to the black wire going to the next switch[stright threw this switch box,the black wire that was connected to the incomeing power source stright threw thec vlight ceiling box .in the switch box it will be connected to the { BLACK OR COPPER COLORED SCREW ON THE SWITCHNOTE THIS SWITCH SHOULD BE A ( 3way switch) only have three screwsfor wires} { note from this switch box you will have to have a 14 /3/with ground wire , this BOX ,WHICH IS A ( fOUR WAY light SWITCH );; GET back to first light switch- FROM the bottom of the three way switch you will connect the RED AND WHITE STRIPE WIRE to this screw;;ANd the WHITE WIRE COMING FROM THE NEXT LIGHT SWITCH BOX with end collored black for a couple inches ,connected to the bottom right side of the switch#2- NOW lets go to the next switch; It's a FOUR WAY SWITCH;; BLACK WIRE COMEING FROM THE FIRST LIGHT SWITCH CONNECVTS TO THE BLACK WIRE GOING TO THE NEXT SWITCH;;{ NOW FROM THIS SWITCH BOX YOU WILL RUN THE (14/#/WITH GROUND WIRE TO IT from this switch} THE BLACK WIRE TRAVELS THROUGH TSTRIGHT THROUGH THIS BOX:: HOLD SWITCH FACEING YOU >NOW THE RED AND WHITE STRIPE WIRE CONNECTS TO THE BOTTOM LEFT SILVER SCREW<AND THE WHITE WIRE CONNECTS TO THE BOTTOM RIGHT SIDE ALSO SILVER SCREW < YOU WILL HAVE TO COLOR THIS END OF THE WHITE WIRE ALSO:: FROM THE TOP LEFT SIDE
    OF THE SWITCH CONNECT THE RED AND WHIOTE WIRE GOING TO THE NEXT SWITCH THE WHITE GOING TO THE NEXT SWITCH WILL CONNECT TO THE TOP RIGHT SIDE SCREW THIS END OF WIRE COLORED BLACK ALSO :: #3- THIS SWITCH IS A THREE WAY SWITCH:: THE RED AND WHITE WIRE CONNECTS TO THE TOP LEFT SIDE OF THE SWITCH< THE WHITE CONNECTS TO THE TOP LEFT SIDE OF SWITCH: THE BLACK WIRE CONNECTS TO THE BOTTOM RIGHT SIDE ( BLACK SCREW) ;; CHECK THISD OUT FOR THE WAY I HAVE IT WRITTEN OUT: ITS 205 am and I need to get to bed ; I will check tomorrow night to see if you hsave it solved and working ,if you don't the I will oprint out the next way ;; NOTE { LET ME KNOW! } Have a great night and a better tomorrow and GOD BLESS ::F.B.E. GOOD NIGHT SORRY ABOUT THE BOOK F.B.E..
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2010, 07:39 AM

Here's another way, if totally screwed up.
    Remove wires from the 2 3 ways and the 4 way. If the 4 way has not been disturbed leave it alone.
    Then look for 120 volts at 1 3 way or the other, connect to the dark screw on 3 way, connect remaining 2 wires to the silver screws.
    If 4 way HAS been disturbed, look for voltage, identify that wire, flip the connected 3 way to the other position, identify that wire, Those 2 wires connect as first pair of travellers, connect remaining 2 wires to other end of three way.
    Now go to the 3 wires needing a three way, and look for voltage, that connects to a silver screw, Flip first 3 way to other position, look for voltage and connect that wire to other silver screw.
    Remaining wire is what goes to the light and connects to the dark screw on your second three way.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 4, 2010, 07:50 PM

How many cables are in each 3-way switch box?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

York residential furnace pressure switch problem code stuck switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a york furnace P2MD12H06401A after 1 hour it shuts down and gives a 2 flash error for a stuck pressure switch. The switch is new can it be wired wrong? The old one had 2 white wires piggy back and 1 blue wire. The new switch has 3 separate terminals

Light switch problem [ 5 Answers ]

I have a light in a room that has constant power to it. There is a switch, with 4 wires, black white red and ground. But the switch has been disconnected by someone else, and I cannot figure out how to run the wires to the switch. I am assuming the red wire is a traveler since on the other side of...

Light switch problem [ 3 Answers ]

This site has been such a great help I though I would ask you a question about an electrical problem we are having. I have a home that is 2 years old and noticed from day one that we had some light switches that would arc slight when they were turned on. It turned out that the were wired using the...

Switch broken or wiring problem? [ 2 Answers ]

I originally try to install a ceiling fan with light but somehow messed up on the wiring. There are 3 sets of black and white + ground wires coming out for the octagon socket. It was connected to a light fixture but unfortunately my husband had took the plastic nuts off before I got a chance to...

Fan and dimmer switch problem [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a bathroom extractor fan which works from a dimmer switch also wired to a light? When the light is on dim, the fan does not come on, but when it is up full, the fan switches in. This is great at night when you visit the loo and don't want to wake your partner with a bright light...

View more questions Search